Chapter Twenty Eight

(please follow my twitter and facebook for more!: https://twitter.com/sambirch118 and https://www.facebook.com/samanthacbirch

Finlay

I stared at the dagger in my hands contemplating life-

-and death.

For what seemed like hours after Rose's death I held onto her body, hoping my warm hands would radiate life back into her steadily cooling body. My rough fingers danced gently over her cheek as my eyes fixated on hers. Her eyelids were closed but I could still image her beautiful blue eyes staring open, turning a dull grey as life seeped out of them.

When I was told we had to leave my heart bled. Did I have to leave Rose? Leave her alone, here? Never. Holding her tightly to my chest I followed Graham, Alistair and the others out of the gloomy room. Clyde's fallen body and sliced head lay bloody on the ground. No one bothered to cover it or move it. He wasn't worth the bother.

As I walked outside, my fallen angel in my arms, the sunlight hit her. It highlighted her golden hair which flowed freely across my arm before reaching down towards the ground. Her skin was a beautiful yet deathly pale that glowed in the sunlight. Her lips seemed darker, a deeper pink, almost red, than they were before. Almost as red as the blood that seeped from her wound.

I barely noticed the battle-like scenery around me as I walked out the large double doors and into the courtyard. My mind was too far away to see the bloodied bodies on the floor or the soldiers bent over in pain or relief, clutching their swords tightly in her hands. I walked past the broken structures of small barns and stalls. There was a fire burning nearby and the smoke wafted over to me, clogging my nose and the heat of the flame licked Rose's skin, inducing a false warmth of life.

The soldiers around me began to stand as I walked past them towards the drawbridge, from recognition and respect of a leadership figure or from curiosity towards who lay in my arms I didn't know or care.

I walked over the drawbridge and past the camp my warriors made and towards the long path that led through the centre of town. Walking down it, many villagers, some who looked like they had partaken in the battle that occurred in and around the courtyard, came out from their houses and hiding places to watch as I walked down the aisle of death.

Reaching the tree line of the forest that surrounded the large cliff that we had descended only one day previous, I walked deeper and deeper until it felt like hours had past. My arms became numb from holding Rose but I refused to stop or put her down, and my head hurt from the emotional pain that wracked my whole being. Finally I reached a small spring of water. A small trickling waterfall fed the pond which formed a small valley of water, leading out of sight. Large trees stood tall, blocking most of the sunlight and only allowing a small thread to seep though and cast its orange light upon us.

Finally laying Rose's body gently on a bed of wild flowers and fallen petals amongst spring green moss I placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. Looking around me I decided this was the best resting place for her. Small birds sang their song of sorrow perched on low branches, their small head leaning down to look upon a true fallen angel. The sound of water hitting water was a soft melody to my ears and as I left Rose's side momentarily, I dipped my fingers into its lukewarm water smiling at the pleasurable feeling of small ripples hitting my fingers.

I returned to Rose's body, placing her head in my lap, stroking her hair from her face as I closed my eyes seeking peace.

My mind, body and soul felt like it was tearing itself apart. I felt like I could no longer live; no longer go on without a purpose in life. Here I was, once a large demeaning warrior now a broken hearted boy.