Chapter 8

Ian set his cup on the solid granite washbasin as Vanessa locked the bathroom door- to lock employees out or himself in, Ian wasn't sure.

"Ian."

Vanessa placed her hands on Ian's waist, pulling him towards her.

Briefly, Ian wondered why he even messed with Vanessa. She was, after all, his boss. And it wasn't like  he was even attracted to her.

Still, he allowed her to shrug off his jacket and kiss his neck before he stopped her. Her perfume was a heady bouquet, already working its magic on him. 

"Vanessa," he interrupted.

Was this all she wanted?

"Hmm?" Vanessa pulled back for a second before bringing her mouth back to his jaw.

Ian softly pushed Vanessa away. "You said you had to talk."

Vanessa stared back blankly, trying to remember through the haze of her mind.

"Yes. We...it can wait."

Ian almost couldn't believe his ears. The woman in charge of American safety saying that it could wait. It had gone too far. 

Ian shook his head. "No, it can't. We both know it can't."

Ian knew how much their time together meant to Vanessa, but if this issue was as pressing as her tone had implied, it cam above all else.  He softened the blow by kissing her nose.

Vanessa nodded, swallowing the bitter pill of disappointment lodged in her throat. He was right, after all. 

Sighing, Vanessa pressed the side panel of the sink, revealing a doorway. The patrons of the coffeehouse were all too stoned to notice anything once in front of a mirror, so the placement of the panel was in a secure place. 

 It never ceased to amaze Ian how cool the IPA was, even if they were a bit scary.

Ian followed Vanessa down the familiarly dark passageway that led to the local IPA branch. The hallway had finally been cleaned and smelled like fresh bananas, a much needed improvement.

When they finally reached the elevator that would bring them down to operative level, Vanessa grabbed Ian's arm.

"Did you hear that?," Vanessa whispered. 

Ian shook his head. All he'd heard was his conscience. How could he have feelings for so many people at the same time and not feel guilt? 

There was a faint click from the other side of the hallway. Almost as if...

"Ian," Vanessa said very quietly, very calmly, "we're being followed."