Chapter 7

The coffeehouse looked like what it was- above ground. Thin hipsters drinking overpriced coffee and businessmen who looked as if they'd just smoked an enormous bowl lounging together and basking in the soft lights and ambient live poetry. Any normal person would pass the place up, calling it a hippie zone or something of the like. 

 But Ian knew what lay  below the surface.

He walked into the fake French doors and ordered a cappuccino. At least he could enjoy a hot drink on this cool morning, and if Archie made his drink, he knew there'd be a splash of rum in there too.

As he was about to take his first sip of the spiced mocha, a hand wrapped around his shoulders.

Vanessa. 

How this woman kept finding him, he'd never know.

"Hello, darling," she crooned. Her breath was hot on his neck, her red lips just barely brushing his jaw.

What was it with women and...breathing? Did they all need inhalers? 

Vanessa kissed the side of his neck, pressing her thumb into the lipstick mark she had made. "Let's go, shall we?"

Usually, Ian didn't go anywhere without his bodyguard, Steve, but if there was one thing that cooperating with spies had taught him, it was to trust no one.

Especially this woman. 

But he was out of options, his resources beginning to dwindle in exactly the way Vanessa had predicted. His influence was no longer reaching quite as far as it had.

And it was for this reason and this reason alone that Ian followed Vanessa into the bathroom. 

Or at least, that's what he told himself.