GAMING MARATHONS

Chapter: Good Hearted

A video-gaming marathon is just that – a marathon of video-gaming. Two examples are GameToAid and Lame Game Marathon. Over an extended period of time, the hosts broadcast themselves over the internet (streaming) playing either much-loved (or hated) video games in the hopes that people will pay to be entertained. The money that’s raised is given to a specific charity. The hosts of the marathons try to keep things interesting by conversing with people in the designated chat room, and run various audience interaction activities such as polls and contests.
    Australian based GameToAid is operated by two 19-year-olds, and in 2011 they fought the water crisis in Africa by video-gaming for 60 hours in a row, only playing what have been deemed the worst video games in history. The marathon helped raise $10,637 to bring fresh drinking water to Ethiopia and Malawi! The money was used to build and rehabilitate fresh water wells and provisions for the people in need. It was also used to start teaching communities about safe hygiene practices and to form local water committees to look after the projects after completion.
    The Lame Game Marathon, also Australian based, raised over $5,000 for the The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR). That’s enough to provide over 700 meals to refugee children, over 100 therapeutic feeding kits or over 55 survival kits.

Possible Moral
These Aussies found a great way to raise money for good. These types of live-events are in fashion. They‘re a form of entertainment that don’t cost much to set up, and you can reach out to the whole world; a winning concept! Now who says video games make young people stupid and unaware?

Story from We All Need Heroes: Stories of the Brave and Foolish.
For Paperback, ePUB and Kindle editions visit:
http//www.weallneedheroes.com