Chapter 14: Gilded Window

Tap.
Tap.
Tap.
Tap tap tap.

The winter world suddenly warmed for a moment leaving a mix of the sky's tears and frozen waste. Some splattered on the window panes misting the glass. Others simply crashed and then reflected off onto the ground. Some melted. Some did not.

It was still early when I woke feeling much better than before. My limbs were tangled with Sting's but I carefully pried myself off peeling his arms and legs as if he was a gecko sticking himself to me. My muscles ached and rippled as I proceeded to pop my joints cracking them every which way. If arthritis is caused by this, then God strike me dead because I won't stop.

I brushed my teeth and hazardously combed my hair. Sometimes, bird's nest would almost be a compliment at this point. The tangles knotted straight from tip to scalp and others just pleasantly caught the comb's teeth in hairball chunks. Eventually a diligent dance of brushing and soaking dewdrops of water left my hair as an arrow. I huffed in amusement as apart of my bangs curved across my eye. Perfect.

Oh wait.

A strand suddenly popped up on top. I groaned and tossed the abused comb aside listening to its plastic ping before it and shuddered and came to a standstill. I stalked out and began to scramble up what I left in my fridge which wasn't much, but it was enough. I made an omelette, two eggs each, and then two slices of toast slathered with butter for Sting and me. The rain and snow continued to pour outside, although less aberrant than prior. A voracious morning yawn beckoned my ears as Sting woke up. He stumbled around before he got to where I was.

"Morning," he said with an evident drowse in his voice. The scratchy dryness of his raw tone went much deeper than his usual tone. I hummed in response edging myself towards flipping the last egg patty. Sting modestly came and removed the crunchy bread from the toaster as I braced my arms and gave a good jerk towards the ceiling. The omelette flew for a second and gave a graceful somersault and then nailed the landing in the pan. Ten points to Gryffindor.

With plates full, I carried them to a small table as Sting went to freshen up. A short moment later, he was fully awake and thriving. His lightly bounced his way into the kitchen like a bunny would. He thanked me and we both started to eat with a ravenous hunger. Only a moment a later, both plates turned up empty and made their way into the sink. With nothing much to do, Sting was about to suggest something when there was a knock at the door. A silver glint on the window shone with a mix of golden rays and milky way frost shimmered onto the floor. The storm had lifted now leaving on a smaller shower of snow. I wiped away fog and saw a tall large figure holding hair as dark as night along a curtain of locks. His hair came together with a bandanna wrapped around his forehead. I could recognize them anywhere.

"Who is it?" Sting asked. I gulped and froze afraid to open the door. Noticing my hesitation, Sting peered out from aside and gasped a little. "Oh, it's him." I nodded and took a deep breath. I shook as I turned the handle and swung the door on its hinge.

"Hey." I nervously gestured for him to come in.

"Hi, Gajeel," I whispered. He stepped inside and shook his shoes off leaving them off the side of the door. He saw Sting and tipped his head a little in greeting.

"Didn't expect to you here. You're the tall doohickey's kid. Sting, right?" he asked.

"Aye," Sting replied. I could tell he was tense, and I couldn't help but think it was because of me. Getting back to seriousness, Gajeel straightened himself.