Chapter 5: Rust

The day seemed to pass quickly as Sting and I jeered and revered in our discoveries. Although against my will, Sting convinced me that even the obvious failures were worth testing.

The classic old paper boat didn't even last a meter before the freezing waters melted it to mush in which we fished out with an extendable pool net. The pure wooden design just didn't seem to hold a stable weight no matter how we tried to balance its center of mass. It only tilted, flipped over, and sank into the lake's eager hands. It too was also fished out.

We went well past lunchtime ambitious for results that food quickly became the last option on our minds. Something clicked and suddenly I thought nothing of how I felt earlier this morning or even for the last few days. It was an addicting obsessive pleasure, a scientific lust that Sting and I seemed to share.

Early four hours later, we finally pulled out finding success with two ingenious designs. Sting carried a simple but effective rectangular piece of wood that had packing peanuts taped all around the edge encasing the block. The Styrofoam was light and buoyant righting the boat even when we splashed and ruptured the stillness of the water. The other boat was made similar to the bottom of one of those ocean planes. The skies of the plane were made so it could land anywhere in the water; two legs with a large surface area to catch the instant track and slow down. This boat was the same with two of its own skis made from pool noodles. While it was from a different type of foam, it was certainly more ideal. People used them in pools. Why couldn't we use it for a boat? It certainly held its own well enough.

We busted out some sandwiches after setting aside our final ships. Sting covered it all with peanut butter and jelly, turkey, ham, cheese, and even had preserved s'mores; albeit, it was nontraditional but still a sandwich. Our ravenous hunger left nothing behind. Even crumbs could not hide from our gut. Sting mentioned filling out our findings in our packet. He asked if we could meet up a few times next week which I accepted. He noted that I would be with my father after school, so he would pick me up when he was done. Everything seemed to act out accordingly to a plan.

Suddenly, I noticed something odd. As we cleaned up our mess, I brushed my hands against Sting's. It was only a glimpse, but a rusty hue coated the underside of his hands. They stained his fingertips and ran down to his wrist in thin brownish orange lines. They reminded me of iodine stains that my father would have after surgeries. And yet, they seemed much too swollen to be an old wound. I subconsciously paused my movements trying to focus on his hands, but Sting quickly caught onto my line of sight. He pulled them away and solemnly looked over to me. A finger to his lips shushed me before I could. However, the questions remained in my mind.

What's on your hands? Are you hurting? Who did this to you? Did you hurt yourself?

All of them remained unspoken.

I was concerned beyond what I could express or rather what Sting let me express. He shook his head and finished putting everything away until his bag looked as full as it was when we arrived. His glazed expression was shielded again just like he was at school. I knew I had made a mistake. It was laughable for me to feel concern. I thought we were going off on the right foot, but I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up like that.

Why did I even think I could have a friend?

"I guess I'll see you in class, Rogue," Sting said monotonously. He stared down at the ground refusing to look into my eyes before turning away. I felt frozen like a statue. I could barely even breathe or move a muscle until his figure was just a memory long faded away. I wasn't sure how long I stayed there like that. The numbness was beyond anything I had ever felt before. It hurt like the pain was being stretched and constricted around me. The pain swallowed me whole and wouldn't leave.

I finally found my will to keep it going. Night would fall over the town soon, so staying at the lake any longer would do no good. If I got sick or ill, things would become much more complicated than I would ever want it to be. With a sigh, I began to trek back to town. The roads and alleys twisted and wound about. It seemed much further and longer now that Sting wasn't here to lead me. It was much more bland and dull too.

Just as I rounded up to my street, a cackling broke through the subtle quietness. A mass of kids popped out from a side street. I paused and quickly turned away. My house was in sight, but if I even tried to pass them, I would get caught.

"Hey, isn't that little Ro-Ro?" a snobbish voice called out. My gut turned sour and my feet began to churn themselves into a run. "After him!"

Shit. It was all going so well, too. I had to get away. Nothing good would come from this. Even if they found me at school, there isn't anyone to help me now. A thundering stampede trailed after me growing louder and louder. A hand snagged my hair and jerked my neck back. Feet left the ground as I was lifted and dragged into the darkness beside a building. No one was around now. No one could help me.

The first punch came like a tidal wave crashing into my lungs. Their fists crunched into my body beating and battering me. My legs felt like jello and my arms were ready to pop out of their sockets. I closed my eyes and tried to think away. The bitterness and numbing washed over me until I could feel nothing left.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
It's like -40 degrees Fahrenheit out right now. So, school is closed for a few days which is nice. Anyway, I left y'all with a cliffhanger. Whoops. But, next update will come next Wednesday ^^ Vote and comment what you think!