Twenty-One | 💋

"I don't try to describe the future. I try to prevent it."

- Ray Bradbury

I regretted the air-kiss

The Surprise Delights' aroma – random notes like strawberry, vanilla, cinnamon, and lavender tickled my nose. Perhaps, it was the sugar – it gave my confidence. Wait, no. His reaction. Yes. It was his reaction. Those squinty eyes challenged me. His elbows grazed the countertops edge, his back arched into the material. He stared at me.

Yes.

There was also judgment.

His hands twitched. His lips curled and released a chuckle, taunting my statement about air-kisses compared to an ordinary kiss. As if his experience wiped out my own knowledge and opinion.

I had proof.

The dilated pupils.

His warm breath. A small flush grew on his cheeks as his eyes glided over to my hand. The hand that gave the air-kiss. Shoulders rotated backwards to fix his hunched posture.

The past two weeks, I dreamed of his clear blue eyes . . . with dilated pupils. His wrinkles around his eyes, the purple and blue tint underneath his bottom eyelids revealed his lack of sleep. The mole close to his left ear, I could've touched it. His brunette hair almost covered it, however when he turned to his right side, I could see the penny sized, caramel mole.

I imagined sliding my hand up to his left ear. The short, light blonde hairs would stand up straight. All at full attention. Then gradually, my finger pads would move up to his hair –

I won't admit it.

When the dream occurred, after the air-kiss incident, I'd wake up. Made myself wake up. My warm body and small tingles in my thumbs caused me to let out a scream. I'd sit up in my bed, curse August's name for disrupting my mind and sleep. I'd toss the three quilted blankets to the side and head towards the dining room. Anywhere but the kitchen. I resisted the images when they tried to resurface.