Nine | 💋

"There can be no vulnerability without risk."

- M. Scott Peck   

The business card cut my finger

The business card cut my finger. The injury unfazed me. I wiped the blood on my apron and stared at the rectangular paper some more. In black Times New Roman font, Choi Min-ho's name was printed on the pure white card. His accomplishments listed out underneath the small curve design: Reality-Television Star, Producer, Co-Writer, and Agent.

I twirled the thick stocker. I finished taping it back to normal, after the slashes and teeth marks that nearly destroyed the card.

All thanks to Dottie.

When I arrived home last night, I tossed the appeasement on the dining table. Min-ho, a.k.a. best friend of whatever his name was, desired – no, wait, pleaded for me to take his card. If I had any questions that he would explain all the details about the documentary and how vital my role was. I shook my head.

Clearly dismissing whatever he rambled about this "documentary" focused on, I took the silly stupid rectangular contact to shut him up.

Dottie meowed for attention and food. I went on autopilot. I fed Amadeus and Dottie, cleaned Dottie's litter box, and stripped off my damp uniform and changed into clean, dry pajamas.

I fell asleep.

It wasn't long before Dottie woke me up at three in the morning. With her hisses and chewing noise, I shot up. Lightheadedness set in, and I fumbled within my bedroom. My feet stomped as I made my way into the living room.

What is Dottie getting into?

My hair tossed all over the place, and a knot formed on the back of my head. Dark purple circles decorated underneath my eyes.

With my index fingers, I gently wiped away the corner crusts from my eyes.

I felt a little better.

On the dining table, Dottie laid on her back. Her front paws caught something. She grabbed it by the mouth. She proceeded to play a game – throw and catch. Her head quickly turned, the thing flew up, and her paws stretched to catch it before it landed on her stomach.

"What do you have-"

I stopped. Tiredness seeped away and I became alert. It was the card!

In that moment, I saved the stupid appeasement. I received a napkin and held it out like a matador with a red cape. Dottie's emerald eyes followed the napkin, and multiple pieces of the card were on her chin and mouth. The remnants of the oddly shaped card were on Dottie's stomach.

"Dottie, here, kitty," I coaxed, "This is for you."

I watched Dottie's guard go down.

"Here!" I threw the napkin.