16.

AFTER THEIR VISIT TO THE HOG'S HEAD, Farrah and Sirius had multiple similar encounters in the next three weeks. The first was a few days later, when Remus and Peter had told her to meet them in the kitchens for their usual time but when she got there, Sirius was waiting with ham and cheese sandwiches. They had stayed there until long after curfew, a fact that Sirius teased Farrah for. ("So you aren't going to write me up for being out after hours with you, how convenient.")

The last was two days ago, when Farrah was doing her usual Prefect patrols and Sirius pulled her from the seventh floor and onto the roof of the Astronomy Tower. There, he had a blanket laid out with a basket on top of it. The two had stayed up there talking until they fell asleep. The next morning, it was James who had found them as he went for an early morning fly and saw the pair cuddled on the roof.

"Good Godric," Farrah said after James had woken the two of them and flied away, "We have got to be more careful."

Sirius said nothing, biting his lip as he watched the girl pack away the contents of the basket. They said their goodbyes and Sirius raced across the castle to the Gryffindor Tower, climbing three steps at a time to get to their dormitory.

"Moony!" the Black exclaimed as he burst in.

Remus, who was still in the process of changing his clothes, looked at his friend with wide eyes. He finished pulling on his jersey before he asked, "Are you alright?"

"No, Moony. I am not okay. I have done a terrible, terrible thing and it is backfiring on me."

"Okay, slow down. I'm sure whatever prank went wrong, we can fix it."

"Ummm," Sirius said, "This isn't as simple as that."

"We've fixed pranks gone wrong in the past, why would this one be any different?"

"Because this one might have been less of a prank and more of a ploy to get something back and it may have included getting close to and possibly using someone and it is not working out for me."

"Sirius. Orion. Black. The. Third," Remus started, closing his eyes and pinching his nose bridge, "Please, please tell me you didn't do what I think you did."

"Okay, why don't you tell me what you think I did and then I'll tell you if that's what I did."

"I think that you asked Farrah out so that you could get close to her and so that she would give you back the journal. I also want to believe that you did not do that because that would be irrationally stupid of you and I refuse to believe you're that much of an idiot."

"That was oddly specific. And you were right on the money. I'm impressed."

"Sirius!" Remus exclaimed, "Why would you do that?!"

"I don't know!" Sirius answered, "It seemed like a good idea at the time. Girls are typically always all over me, I figured this would be no different."

"What part of Farrah MacMillan did you think was typical?"

"Clearly, I wasn't thinking!" the shorter boy replied, leaning his head back against the closed dormitory door, "Godric, why did I think this through?"

Remus scowled before he paused, his brain finally connecting the dots, "Wait. You said that this was backfiring on you... are you, do you fancy Farrah?"

The Black didn't meet Remus' eyes, keeping his head pointed upwards. However, he didn't need to. His lack of an answer told Remus everything that the lycanthrope needed to know. 

"Oh, Padfoot," Remus said softly, "What did you do?"

"I don't know!" Sirius said, "I don't know what I did or why I did it. All I know is that she snorts when she laughs and she blushes when she gets compliments and one of her teeth is crooked but in the subtlest of ways and she likes vanilla chapstick because it keeps her lips soft and wow, her lips are soft-"