Early Sunsets Over Monroeville

I sit on the bottom of the stairs and tear open the letter from my brother eagerly. Venom approaches me, sits by me on the stair and puts her head lovingly on my lap as I scan the letter.

Hey Sunny!

University's good, but I miss you so much! 

I'm glad you're fitting in okay. These friends of yours sound great - especially this Gerard. Got a little boyfriend, eh? I can tell by the way you described him in the letter that you two are gonna be more than friends if you aren't already now! Hahaha, I'm just messing with ya, but I bet you guys actually will get together one of these days ;)

I'm also really glad you sung a bit of the Pistols in front of your class! That's so cool, Sunshine. You always were a good singer - I bet Johnny Rotten'd be proud!

I'm so sorry but I'm afraid I don't think I can come up to New Jersey in time for your birthday - I've got some really important exams I need to do. Like I said, I'm so sorry, Sunny, but I promise I'll be around for Christmas, and I can always mail you your birthday present. Please forgive me, sis!

And hey hey hey, what's this about a puppy? Sounds adorable. Send me a few pictures of Venom sometime, won't you? You know how much I love dogs!

Listen, I better go. I'm sorry for the painfully short letter. I'll write more next time, I promise!

Later!

Storm x

PS - Write back soon. Your last letter took so long to get here, I was worried I could see grey hairs :D

I finish the letter and grin, rolling my eyes at the last part. Even though I'm sad about him not being able to attend my birthday, he still managed to make me smile with his letter. I love my brother. 

I gently lift Ven's head from my lap, and run up the stairs as I remember I'm meant to be going to Gee's house soon. I grab some tack, stick up the letter next to the others on my wall and exit the room. I walk over to the bathroom, and peel off my slightly wet clothes - it's raining lightly outside. It's October the 15th, so naturally it's freezing. Rain's expected, I guess.

I turn on the shower, and step into the warm water. As I'm in there, I start to sing an old song by another English artist that I adore. I know that I have an odd music taste - Slipknot, The Sex Pistols, Blink-182, Misfits, Bob Dylan, The Ramones, Green Day, Iron Maiden & this guy - but I personally think it's a fucking amazing one!

"Ch ch ch ch changes!" I sing David Bowie's classic Changes, clutching a shampoo bottle to use as a mic.

"Turn to face the strange,

Ch ch changes!

Don't wanna be a richer man."

I'm halfway through my soulful singing when a beautiful male voice from the other side of the door joins me in a duet.

"Ch ch ch ch changes!

Turn to face the strange,

Ch ch changes!

Just gonna have to be another man.

Time may change me,

But you can't change time."

I let out a scream in a mixture of shock and terror - who the hell's in the house?

"Woah, I'm not that bad a singer, am I?"

Gerard. Fucking. Way.

I turn off the shower, stomp out and grab a towel. I wrap it around myself, unlock the door and open it to reveal a raven haired boy smiling at me sheepishly.