The First Quidditch Game

Hermione's first two months had Hogwarts went by well.

She spent all her time with Harry and Ron now. She and Ron still fought but not nearly as much as they did before. They just had clashing personalities that also fit together perfectly.

Harry was very excited when Quidditch season about was keen to tell Ron and Hermione all about it, though Ron was the only one interested.

Saturday was the first Quidditch game - Gryffindor against Slytherin and if Gryffindor won they'd be put in second place for the House Championship.

Hermione was glad to help Harry through his homework and even lend him Quidditch Through the Ages

Hermione had never had a friend before and was happy to help Harry when he needed it.

Hermione couldn't be happier. Now that she wasn't stressed out about avoiding rule breaking she was much more relaxed and more people liked her.

Of course Parvati and Lavender were still horrible to her, but that didn't matter.

She had friends - real friends - not like Neville Longbottom - not that Hermione had something against Neville. He was still nice.

It was the day before the first Quidditch match and it was absolutely freezing in Scotland.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione were out in the courtyard and all of them were in their Gryffindor scarfs, and wearing large coats to keep warm, but just couldn't.

"Why does it have to be so cold?!" shrieked Ron.

Harry shivered vigorously.

Ron had just finished a small jar of jam inside. He was eating it with his breakfast but Hermione took it from him now that he was done with it and whispered, "Incendio!"

They now had a warm, bright, blue fire in the empty jar to warm them.

Then they noticed a very curious sight.

Professor Snape was limping across the yard.

The three moved closer together to hide the fire from his view, knowing he would knock points off from Gryffindor for an unfair reason if he saw it. Sadly, something about their guilty expression made Snape suspicious and he limped over.

He hadn't seen the fire but he wanted to tell them off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?"

Harry showed his his copy of Quidditch Through the Ages.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school. Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor." Hermione squinted at him. That was no real rule. She had brought library books of out school thousands of times.

"He's just made that rule up!" muttered Harry angrily.

Snape was now limping away.

"Wonder what's wrong with his leg?" said Harry. Ron sneered. "I dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him.

 .         .           .

When they entered the Gryffindor common room that evening it was particularly noisy. Harry and Ron had given Hermione their homework to look over, but Ron was uneasy about it. "What can't you just let us copy your work down?" asked Ron.

"Oh, Ron," sighed Hermione. "How will you learn?"

Hermione began crossing off answers for them. "Oh, no, no, no, Ron. Didn't I tell you it can be used as an oven cleaner - not stove."