Draco Malfoy's Midnight Duel

Hermione was still rather angry with Ron Weasley for his rude comments from before.

He was such an idiototic fool!

She held her nose high in the air as she walked past him and Harry at dinner when she heard him and Malfoy having a very interesting conversation. "I'll take you on anytime on my own," said Malfoy. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Of course he has," said Ron, turning around. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Malfoy looked over Crabbe and Goyle for a while then said, "Crabbe. Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; that's always unlocked."

Finally Malfoy left and Harry asked Ron, "What is a wizard's duel? And what do you mean, you're my second?"

"Well, a second's there to take over if you die," said Ron surprisingly casually. Hermione was stunned. He could die?

"But people only die in proper duels, you know, with real wizards. The most you and Malfoy can do is send sparks at each other. Neither of you knows enough magic to do any real damage. I bet he expected you to refuse, anyway."

"And what if I wave my wand and nothing happens?"

"Throw it away and punch him on the nose," suggested Ron.

"Excuse me," said Hermione, finally coming into view.

"Can't a person eat in peace in this place?" groaned Ron.

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned to Harry.

"I couldn't help overhearing what you and Malfoy were saying -" "Bet you could," murmured Ron. "-and you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you'll lose Gryffindor if you're caught, and you're bound to be. It's really selfish of you."

"And it's really none of your business," retorted Harry.

"Good-bye," said Ron.

Hermione took a deep breath and walked off! Why were they so stubborn?!

.   .   . 

When Parvati and Lavender and Hermione's other roommates had finally gone to bed Hermione brushed her teeth then stayed out in the Gryffindor common room, waiting for Harry and Ron. She knew she had to stop them and wasn't going to let them ruin Gryffindor's chances at the House Cup because of their selfish actions.

It took about an hour but finally she heard voices coming done the stairs.

"I can't believe you're going to do this, Harry."

"You!" said Ron angrily. "Go back to bed!"

"I almost told your brother," answered Hermione. "Percy - he's a prefect, he'd put a stop to this."

"Come on," Harry said to Ron.

Hermione felt like screaming out a thousand curse words! They weren't listening! She wasn't going to let them do this! Not without a fight! She couldn't believe anyone could be so infuriating.

Harry pushed open the portrait of the Fat Lady and they climbed through the hole but Hermione followed them.

"Don't you care about Gryffindor, do you only care about yourselves, I don't want Slytherin to win the House Cup, and you'll lose all the points I got from Professor McGonagall for knowing Switching Spells."

"Go away," hissed Ron.

"All right, but I warned you, you just remember what I said when you're on the train home tomorrow, you're so -"