The Journey to Rescue the Sorcerer's Stone

Hermione was skimming rapidly across her notes.

She was looking for an enchantment one of the teachers might have put on the Sorcerer's Stone to protect it. They would have to break these complicated spells if they were to find the Sorcerer's Stone, right? She was just bring prepared.

The three of them sat in the Gryffindor common room alone.

No one wanted to talk to them, seeing as they were not over the points incident.

But Hermione didn't care. She stopped carrying a while ago. What they were up to at the moment troubled her a lot more.

People slowly began leaving the common room and going to bed.

It seemed to take forever for the Weasley twins and Lee Jordan too. It was getting so late Hermione feared they'd miss Snape. Fred and George finally left, and then Lee did ten minutes later.

Ron sighed. They were alone.

"Better go get the Cloak," he told them.

Harry left to go get it and quickly made his way back down.

"We'd better put the Cloak on here," he said, "and make sure it covers all three of us - if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own -"

"What are you doing?" said a familiar voice.

Hermione groaned. She knew that voice.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing," said Harry as he put his Cloak behind his back. Neville glared at them. "You're going out again," he said.

"No, no, no," lied Hermione. "No, we're not. Why don't you go to bed, Neville?"

Neville wouldn't take this as an answer though. He kept on pushing.

"You can't go out, you'll get caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," groaned Harry, "this is important."

"I won't let you!" said Neville and he ran to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll - I'll fight you!"

"Neville," growled Ron, "get away from that hole and don't be an idiot -"

"Don't you call me an idiot! I don't think you should be breaking any more rules! And you were the one who told me to stand up to people!"

"Yes, but not to us," said Ron. "Neville, you don't know what you're doing." Ron told a step forward and Neville dropped Trevor, who was perfectly happy to hop away from Neville once again.

"Go on then, try and hit me!" said Neville, raising his fist. "I'm ready!"

Hermione knew they could not hit Neville, they didn't wish to and they wouldn't. This was ridiculous. Apparently, Harry was thinking the same thing because he turned to Hermione and whispered, "Do something!"

Hermione gathered up enough bravery to step forward.

"Neville, I'm really, really sorry about this," she said.

She slowly raised her wand.

Oh, this is so horrible, she thought. Neville was her first ever friend.

"Petrificus Totalus!"

Neville's arms sprang to him sides and his legs snapped together. His jaw was clamped together and he could not speak, Neville began to sway side to side then finally he fell on his face, unable to get up. Hermione couldn't bare to leave him like that so she turned him over. His eyes were still able to move and he looked at them in horror.