Mr. and Mrs. Granger's Secret

Hermione helped herself to a full plate of hot chocolate chip cookies as she read her new math book for Junior High.

This was a pleasure she could not enjoy at her parents house because they were very strict when it came to teeth.

"That will give you a mouthful of cavities," said her mother.

Which was very unlikely, considering that Hermione brushed her teeth three times a day, one after every meal.  "Are you alright Hermione?" asked Ms. Lauren, the Granger's neighbor, who was a old but quite friendly widow.

"Yes, Ms. Lauren. Actually, I'm almost done with my Language Arts book!"

"You've always been quite the genius. That and you're so delightful, are the reasons it was never a bother to take you in while your parents are gone. Tell me if you need anything," Ms. Lauren told her. Ms. Lauren dropped a glass of milk on the counter for Hermione and she quickly drank it. Ms. Lauren left the room slowly.

Hermione began gathering up all her stuff, knowing that her parents would get off of work soon.

Ms. Lauren apparently did not know that or perhaps forgot, because otherwise she would have known that Hermione would not be needing anything else.

Hermione pushed back strands of her bushy brown hair and looked out into the window, eagerly awaiting her parents.

She would be careful to make sure she did not mention that she had had a full plate of chocolate chip cookies. Her parents would tell Ms. Lauren she spoiled Hermione rotten in a sweet manner.

Hermione smiled, watching as a gray Honda pulled up into Ms. Lauren's driveway.

Hermione quickly rushed downstairs with her book bags.

"Are your parents here?" Ms. Lauren asked, seeing her scurry down the stairs.

"They're right outside!" exclaimed Hermione. Ms. Lauren opened the door and Mrs. Granger quickly hugged her. "Hello, Ms. Lauren," she greeted her and they all smiled. "Now, where is Hermione?"

"I'm right  here," answered Hermione with a wave.

"Did you finish your homework?" asked Mr. Granger.

"Oh course I did Dad!" Hermione got up and hugged her parents, who smelt of peppermint toothpaste and favored floss. "Have a cup of tea, dear," offered Ms. Lauren. "Oh, you spoil us Grangers, Ms. Lauren," smiled Mrs. Granger. "Yes, I insist." "Alright, just a cup," settled Mr. Granger.

Mrs. Granger scurried off to help Ms. Lauren pour the tea, but Mr. Granger came over to Hermione.

"How are you kiddo?" asked Mr. Granger.

"I'm good," responded Hermione simply. Mr. Granger pushed back Hermione's bushy hair to kiss her on the cheek then set off for tea.

"How was your day?" said Ms. Lauren.

"It was normal. Being a dentist is quite a fun profession, you know. We have most everyone in the neighborhood, you know. It was mighty awkward today though, Cole Saunders came to us. I'm guessing he was still upset about the incident with Hermione because -" Mrs. Granger stuck up her index finger and showed it to Ms. Lauren. " -  he thought it would be a good idea to bite me purposely."

"Children these days, eh?" Ms. Lauren asked.

"I'd be proud to have one like yours though. Quiet, smart, responsible, brave - everything you would want in a kid. Aren't you Hermione?" Hermione blushed at Ms. Lauren's complement. 

Perhaps she could say that in front of the entire sixth grade student body.

"I must say, we were lucky to have such a brilliant daughter, but she makes mistakes just like any other kid. That's why we love her so much!" said Mr. Granger warmly.