Hermione's Flying Failure

Hermione got her first letter from her parents that weekend. 

 Dear Hermione,

How was your first week at Hogwarts? We've missed you

terribly! We can't wait until Christmas. Have you made any 

new friends? What is Hogwarts like? Tell us everything.

Ms. Lauren's been dying to know where you are. 

Should we tell her? It's up to you

Love, Mum and Dad

Hermione smiled to herself, think of her parents. She stroked the owl that had given her the letter then let it go. She stuffed the letter in her pocket and finished her breakfast. After breakfast she'd have to go brush her teeth again. Her parents would be so proud that she had kept her promise and took care of her teeth.

Suddenly, Hermione saw Neville Longbottom rush in towards her.

"Guess what, Hermione," breathed Neville.

"We're having our first flying lesson this week!" Hermione's mind was boggling. Flying! Hermione was never good at sports, sports that involved staying on the ground! This would be much worse! She could hurt herself, and she could hurt herself badly!

"Are you excited?" asked Hermione.

"Actually, I'm quite nervous," admitted Neville.

"Me too. I didn't really think we'd be required to learn to fly," said Hermione. "I thought it was some extra thing for Quittitch -"

"Quidditch," Neville corrected her. Hermione felt quite foolish being corrected by Neville but she didn't go on about it.

"Nevermind it," said Hermione.

The next time Hermione had the time, which was a Thursday, Hermione went to the library and checked out Quidditch Through the Ages

Neville seemed very interested in learning how to fly so that he didn't hurt himself and Hermione was glad to help.

"So, Neville, if you just mount your broom directly upward and don't place any of your weight on your broom until you're lifted into the air you'll be able to get up in one piece."

"What about when I'm already in the air?" asked Neville.

"You see, Neville. If you're in the  air already just don't -"

Hermione was interrupted by the arrival of a barn owl, giving him a small package.

He opened it eagerly to unveil a glass ball, about the size of a large marble, filled with white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" said Neville. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotton to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh. . ." Neville's happy expression faded as he watched the Remembrall glow red and he was forgetting something, ". . . you've forgotten something. . ."

Neville was desperately trying to remember what he had forgotten when Draco Malfoy, snatched the Remembrall out of his hand.

Harry and Ron jumped out of their seat, looking like they were going to fight.

Professor McGonagall had come before this could happen though. "What's going on?" asked Professor McGonagall.

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor," answered Neville.

Draco dropped the Remembrall, uneasily but quickly. "Just looking," he said and his two thick, thug-like friends followed him.

.      .       .