Chapter 23

Chapter 23…

Five days came and went, and with each one, Charles felt as if he was becoming a part of the walls surrounding him. Erik arrived in the mornings to unchain Charles from his bed frame and allowed him to get ready for the day before chaining him back to his wheelchair when he left. The same routine occurred at night. Nonetheless, neither man spoke more than two words to one another during their time together.

They knew what was coming. At that moment, Erik's brotherhood was reconstructing the machine. They would be finished within a few days, and then Erik would do what he believed was necessary to bring more mutants to his cause.

The man had become the weapon Charles had feared he'd be.

It was late morning when the door behind Cerebro opened for the second time that day. Sitting in the living room, Charles turned his attention to Erik as the man entered, and knew instantly that things weren't right.

From the dark room, Erik lifted his hand and the door closed behind him.

"We need to start installing Cerebro's main processors," the other man explained, his face hidden in the dark room. "It'll take a couple hours."

The statement sounded so simple, but as Erik lumbered up the steps into the living area, Charles knew things would not be that easy. Not with his telepathy; Erik wouldn't risk it.

"We considered moving you to the yacht," Erik said as he came to the coffee table, "but then we'd have to teleport everyone back and forth, and with your abilities…this is much simpler, my friend."

From the back of his cape, Erik withdrew his right hand. In it, a syringe.

"It's a mild sedative," Erik explained. "It'll merely put you to sleep for awhile."

When he first woke in the base, Charles' reaction might have been shock or even fear. As he sat chained to his wheelchair, he realized swiftly that what he felt was…nothing.

"Go to the bathroom," Erik said and then the handcuff around Charles' wrist unlocked by itself.

Without protest, Charles followed Erik's orders. A few minutes later, he reemerged and rolled himself to his bed. He transferred to the mattress, straightened his legs with his hands, and then lay back, resting his head on the pillow.

Reaching his bedside, Erik knelt down.

"It's just for a few hours," he said.

Charles didn't reply. Maybe there was no more shock to be had. Or maybe…he just didn't care anymore.

Erik rolled up Charles' left sleeve, and then there was a sting. The drug burned his veins; Charles didn't react. Erik slid the needle out and set the syringe on the end table by the bed. He slipped the cold metal of the handcuff to Charles' left wrist as if it was a force of habit now.

Within a minute, the world began collapsing. The dangling lights above Charles blurred together until it was just one, soft light. Then, the light vanished. As he lied on his bed, Charles' eyes closed into nothingness.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

The dream returned. Gray fog swayed back and forth as if part of a wave. Other minds played there, blended with the gray; Charles couldn't see them but he felt them. He was a part of them. Countless lives with hopes and ambitions. And there—in that place—he didn't need his body.

"So, this is him, huh?"

The voice filtered through like it was whisper from miles away that Charles still managed to hear. The gray faded. Something warm and rough clamped down on his jaw.