Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Another day. Another less to work with. Azazel teleported Magneto to the island's outskirts and then flashed away before the red cloud had a chance to form into something real. About a quarter mile from the base, Erik hiked. The sun hadn't even peeked out into the horizon yet and already he was sweating.

With each step, Magneto considered his options. Charles was growing tired, but so was Magneto's "brotherhood," as his friend had described it. And despite all his power, Magneto couldn't be there every second to guard the base, not when such powerful beings could teleport inside or use their powers from miles away.

For Charles' own protection, his friend needed to comply.

Unfortunately, Magneto had already tried everything...reasonin--even bargaining with the other man. There was only one option left and as Magneto considered it, his stomach practically twisted inside-out. If Charles didn't snap out of his own delusions, Magneto would have to force him onto the machine.

During his time at the CIA, Charles had never used Cerebro for more than half an hour at a time. Having his mind amplified all over the world might have been an enthralling experience for the telepath, but it was also overwhelming. Exhausting.

But what would being hooked up to Cerebro for hours nonstop do to him?

Magneto reached the base's metal door. The steel was lackluster and rusted from the tropical climate. He felt the metal within his invisible grasp, under his power. Under his control.

Not touching the door, Magneto opened it. With the exception of Cerebro, a soft amber glow filled the rest of the base like a hundred soft candles. Magneto stepped inside and closed the metal slab behind him.

As the noise of insects and birds was left outside, the sound from the room instantly snapped him to attention. Gasping. Like someone groaning in pain, and as the sound echoed off the marble walls, Magneto recognized Charles' voice. Immediately, images of Emma and the other mutants invaded his mind; he hurried forward. Splitting the metal fence at its center, Magneto jumped up the steps and into the main section of the room.

He spotted Charles the same instant Charles' eyes caught his. His friend lay on the floor by his bed, curled into himself. His face was red.

"God," Charles muttered, "you have the worst timing on this planet."

"What happened?" Erik asked as he approached. "Who was here?"

"Go away, Erik. Please...just leave."

Erik reached his friend's side. He knelt down, ready to inspect whatever injury the other man had sustained--

That's when he noticed it. Behind Charles, a small dot blemished the carpet. Then another. Droplets of yellow trailed from Charles' backside to the edge of the bed. Erik peeked up. On the mattress, a puddle of urine stained the linens. In the air, there was a hint of ammonia.

Erik dropped his gaze to his friend. "Charles...?"

The other man had already averted his eyes away. His hands were shaking. Sweat glistened his brow. He opened his mouth like he was about to be sick, and then whispered, "I lost track of time. I--I didn't know. I...just forgot." He gasped like the words were nails in his throat.

On his knees, Erik absorbed the image before him. Charles' pajamas were soaked, his upper body trembling like the floor was made from ice. A few feet away, his wheelchair had been pushed aside.

Erik rested his hand on his friend's shoulder.

"Don't touch me!" Charles shouted, his face flushing even more.