Chapter 8

Chapter 8...

The contractors had departed for the evening by the time the mansion's doorbell rang. Sitting in the living room with one of Edie's textbooks in his grasp, Charles glanced over his shoulder as Sean strolled into the foyer. The young man looked through the peep-hole and then shot a curious eye Charles' direction.

Placing his fingers to his temple, Charles focused. Through his telepathy, he spread his mind past Sean and to the person on the other side of the door. As he realized who it was, he slouched in his chair a little. Katherine Boggs was paying him a visit, it seemed.

Suddenly, he had the impulse to snap his fingers and make his entire home invisible to the woman. Realizing it was too late for such ideas, Charles telepathically called to Hank, making sure his friend was out of sight, and then nodded to Sean.

The young man opened the door.

Chin held high, Katherine asked for Charles immediately. Sean stepped out of the way and gestured a hand towards the living room. As Katherine's eyes found him, Charles offered her a smile.

"Katherine," he said as he began rolling into the foyer, "I didn't realize you made house calls."

"I don't, typically," she said as she took in the place. "I must say, Charles—I didn't think being a professor of genetics paid quite this well."

Charles snorted. "It doesn't, for certain. Actually, I'm not teaching quite yet. We're still renovating—this place is going to be a school eventually."

"Better use of space than a bachelor pad."

"Yes, I agree wholeheartedly."

There was a pause, and Katherine's gaze settled on him. That's when Charles realized the simple pleasantries were finished. "What can I help you with, Katherine?"

"I need to talk with you," she replied. "Alone."

And here it started. With a nod, Charles led Katherine away from Sean and the living room. With the woman's high heels clapping the hardwood, they past his bedroom, and reached his study. He wrestled with the door a second, and then he left it open for Katherine; passing through, she closed it.

"Care for a drink?" Charles asked.

"No, thank you," Katherine said as Charles rotated around to her and motioned his hand to a chair beside him. Sitting, the woman unwrapped her purse from around her shoulders and then withdrew a set of folded yellow papers.

She handed them to Charles. "This is a referral," she explained as Charles opened the paperwork, "for you to see a clinical psychologist twice a week until further notice."

Charles' gaze shot up at the woman. "What?"

"I want you to see a therapist," Katherine continued and then pointed to the papers. "The woman I've recommended works specifically with people with disabilities. She's very good."

Charles gawked at Katherine as if waiting for the punch-line. When she didn't say more, he released a breath of laughter. "I appreciate your concern, but I assure you," he extended his hand back to her with the paperwork, "it's completely unwarranted."

"This isn't a recommendation," Katherine said. "It's a requirement. If you want to continue being seen at my clinic, you have to visit with Dr. Berman or another psychologist of your choice until he or she says otherwise."

Any words Charles might have said got stuck in his throat. Slowly, he drew the papers back to himself.

After a few seconds, his mind caught up with him. He flashed a grin. "What is this about? Really, Katherine?"