12. Endgame

"Tonight I rid the world of airbending forever."

I saw my uncle and cousins tied up on that stage in front of all of the cheering Equalists and something in me stirred.

"I'll be damned if you will!"

Mako had a hard time holding back both Korra and myself, so finally he joined us, shooting a bolt of lightning straight for Amon as he turned towards Uncle Tenzin. He and Korra leaped towards the wall and ran along it, balancing themselves with the heat of their Firebending. I dropped down into the crowd below us, and the Equalists tried to hold me down but couldn't. Air was swirling around me uncontrollably, and it pushed them all away from me then carried me to Korra's side where she and Mako fought off Amon and his men.

I ran as fast as I could to my uncle and fought with the ropes around his wrists to free him. The moment he felt them loosen, he flung the ropes to the side and rushed to help Korra and Mako. I moved on to my three cousins who weren't bound so tightly, and soon they were all free.

Everything after was a blur. There were voices screaming inside my head, and next thing I knew I was hiding with Korra beneath a table. When his footsteps echoed across the floor, all the voices stopped. And I could feel him. His prescense was overwhelming. His strength suffocated me. His intentions, I could tell now, were good, but they always intend for the best. They can never see what they are truly doing. Especially when they are willing to go to any extent to achieve their goals. Yes, he meant well. But I couldn't sympathize. Not after all he'd done.

Korra's eyes filled with terror as an invisible force weaved it's way into her skin, and her body flew from under the table. I heard her screaming. I heard Mako trying to saver her but failing. But I was frozen. Something told me not to move as I saw Amon force Korra into a kneeling position and take away her bending. Korra's voiceless screams echoed in my head long after she'd fell to the ground.

"I told you I would destroy you," Amon said, thinking that it was over and that he had won.

Just then, Amon's lieutenant stepped into the room and spoke. "I just saw you bloodbend her," he whispered. "You traitor! I dedicated my life to you!"

The lieutenant took out the kali sticks that he'd used on me before and ran towards Amon with every intention of killing him, but his efforts were in vain. Amon bended him into the air and tossed him into a pile of wood as if he were nothing at all. Then, he turned to Mako, and something miraculous happened. Somehow, Mako managed to shoot bolts of lightning at the unsuspecting Amon even though his hands were entirely under Amon's command. In a burst of fire, Mako took his opportunity to knock Amon into a pile of wood.

Mako motioned to me quickly, and the three of us retreated into the hallway, Korra in Mako's arms. Running was futile. Amon was behind is in no time, and his bloodbending took control of Mako's body once again, sending Korra tumbling to the ground and Mako flying into the wall.

"I'm impressed," Amon laughed. "No one has ever gotten the better of me like that. It's almost a shame to take away the bending of someone so talented."

"No!" Korra screamed, and I knew before she did it what was going to happen. I could feel a warmth coming from Korra that I hadn't felt before as if something that had been sleeping within her had been awakened. The air swirled around her as she sent a blast of air towards Amon. She froze, and Mako and I watched her closely. "I - I can airbend," she said. "I can airbend!"

Fear emminated from Amon now, and he tried and failed to bloodbend her again. Korra overcame him with her pure spiritual strength and sent him flying from the window and into the sea below.

Amon's mask floats to the surface of the water as many onlookers turn to look up at us and accuse Korra of atrocities. But then a tornado of water rose from the ocean, carrying Amon to dry land. The crowd was amazed. Then everyone saw the truth of Amon and took Korra's side once again. Amon - no, Noatak - shot an angry look up at us before launching himself back into the water.