4. The Voice in the Night (Part 2)

I woke up to Mako dropping a big box on my face. "Don't know if any of that will fit, but I did my best," he told me.

I shoved the box in the floor and sat up to rub my eyes. After a moment of blinking, I was awake enough to see the clothes in front of me. It was Water Tribe clothes. I pulled out a pair of pants first, but they were way too long. Next was a shirt that I laid aside to try on. There was also a tube-top dress that looked like it would fit if I had the chest to hold it up which I didn't.

After sorting through everything, I picked up the skirt, pants, and three shirts and went to try them on while Mako fixed a glass of water to pour on Bolin to wake him up.

I slid the first shirt on and appraised myself in the mirror. It was a little big but not so much that it would matter. The next one must have been a child's shirt because it was a little too tight, but it would be fine as long as I stretched it before I put it on. And the last shirt was too itchy to keep even though it fit perfectly.

Both the skirt and pants fit me. But for today, I wore the skirt. I wasn't exactly used to wearing pants anyway. I stepped out in my all blue outfit to the sound of Bolin falling into the floor as he tried to chase Mako. "You'll pay for this! You'll pay!" Bolin screamed, and Mako just laughed, which I thought was weird. He didn't seem like a big laugher.

"What is up with you today, Mako?" Bolin's voice echoed from upstairs just as Mako jumped back down to the living room. So I guess he definitely wasn't a big laugher.

"I don't know. Just in a good mood, I guess."

 "You met someone!"

"Bolin, we meet people everyday," Mako said, turning away from his brother who had just barreled down to the living room.

"Yeah, but you met... a girl!"

 "No, I didn't! Well, I did - but... Okay, yeah, I did. But the important thing is that after we went out to dinner last night, she took me to meet her father, Hiroshi Sato, and he's going to sponsor the Fire Ferrets in the championship."

"No way," I said slowly. "The Hiroshi Sato? Inventor of the Satomobile? I can't believe that is where you were! Mr. Sato is a huge inspiration! Bolin did you go with him? I hate both of you!"

"Nope, I'm just as surprisingly elated as you," Bolin quietly. Then he bursted, "You mean we're in the championship!? No way! I wish I would have known yesterday when I went to see Korra! I could have told her about it then since she hasn't been at practice in a while."

Oh, I thought. Mako was with his new girlfriend, and Bolin was with who he wishes was his girlfriend. And I was just here. Cleaning the shower. How depressing.

Mako and Bolin chattered excitedly while I walked over to the kitchen for some water. The radio was on with the volume really low. I listened in for a moment, and when I heard what sounded like "Avatar Korra," I reached over and spun the knob to hear about some party the city was throwing in her honor. It seemed fishy to me.

"Guys," I said. "What do you two know about this party thing for Korra?"

Neither of them had heard anything about it before now, and it didn't take long for us to decide that we had no option but to attend. Mako even volunteered his girlfriend Asami Sato to take care of our attire. He was sure she and her father would be attending already, so we could go with them.

Mako made all the arrangements, and a package of expensive formal clothes came around midday. Mako had given her all of our sizes, so the clothes fit perfectly.

For me, there was a long silver dress. It had a small strap over my shoulder, but the other side was left strapless. It was a bit tight-fitting though, and it made me uncomfortable. Luckily, there was a blue wrap to wear over it. And the silver strappy heels that she'd sent made me even more uncomfortable, but I would have to make do. Everything looked to expensive to complain about it.