8. When Extremes Meet

I stood on the dock with Korra and my cousins waiting to welcome Mako, Bolin, and Asami. They'd have to stay with us now since Asami's father didn't seem like a safe option anymore. The boat in the distance approached sluggishly. There was no hurry I suppose. When sadness enveloped us, things always seemed to slow down for some reason. It's when you're happy that things pick up speed.

"You're finally here," one of the girls said as the boat halted in front of us. "Welcome to Air Temple Island! You're new home!"

"Yes," Meelo said in all seriousness. "Welcome to my domain!"

"Well, aren't you sweet, little monk child?" I shook my head as Bolin smiled down at him like I usually did, and Pabu took off between Meelo's legs.

"What's that furry creature?" Meelo asked pointing. I smacked myself in the face as Jinora went encyclopedia on us only to be interrupted by Ikki's screech that we only heard when she found something utterly adorable.

Pabu didn't seem fond of Ikki and ran away from her. I guess Pabu didn't expect her to actually chase him in circles. Then Meelo jumped up on Naga's back and pulled at her ears. "Fly, sky bison, fly!" He screamed. Well, at least the new residents got to see the jist of what life on Air Temple Island would be like before they unpacked. But it didn't scare them away, so I assumed they'd seen worse.

I walked over to talk to Bolin when the guys who went to help them all move brough a towering stack of luggage off of the ship. "How much of that is yours?" I asked him.

"I've got all of my stuff right here," he said as he pat the bag over his shoulder. "All of that is Mako's except for one of Asami's."

"What?"

"I was just kidding. It's all Asami's. Like us guys would need that much stuff. Me especially. I'm low maintenance."

"Of course you are," I whispered as we fell in behind the others marching towards the temple.

I stopped and let the others go ahead without me, still feeling tired from my injuries. As they split up to find their rooms, I stayed standing in front of the temple, suddenly feeling like taking my second nap of the day. But I had to stop sleeping so much. How would I ever heal properly if all I ever did was lay around? But first I needed a break.

"Are you alright?" My uncle's voice startled me, and I looked up at him from my seat on the steps.

"I'm fine, Uncle Tenzin."

"Very well then. I am looking for Korra."

"She's showing Asami to her room, I think."

Uncle Tenzin nodded and rounded the corner, heading for the girl's side of the island. Just as he was out of view, Ikki came up sulking. Apparently she'd been kicked out of Asami's room by Korra. I knew Ikki had a loud mouth, and there was no telling what she'd said. I didn't bother asking either. I knew I'd have to hear it from Korra later anyway. Ikki sat beside me sadly, but then I came up with an idea that we could me from dozing off and keep Ikki from pouting. "Hey," I said. "Is there some sort of training I could do that doesn't require bending talents?"

Ikki perked up like watered flower and immediately grabbed my hand. "There sure is! It's what we've been doing with Korra," she told me as she pulled me along behind her. Being dragged all over the place was starting to get old.

She took me over to a large, circular... thing with panels sticking out of the ground. "This is the first step for learning airbending. It's about learning how to move with the wind and avoid the panels. It's easy! And no bending skills required."

"Ikki, I don't know about this," I said after she used her airbending to make the panels spin blurrily. "I think some bending talent is required, don't you?"