7. The Aftermath

"I wish I could go with you. It's only been a day, but I'm sick of being in bed," I told Korra when she stuck her head in to say good-bye. She was going to tell Mako and Bolin that they could live at the Air Temple since the arena was being shut down.

"You'll be up in a day or two at the most! I promise."

With that, she was gone. Korra had had a huge smile on her face. Why wouldn't she? She would be that much closer to Mako, and he would be that much farther away from Asami. Despite everyone getting along, Korra wasn't going to be able to get over him being with someone other than herself. I guess I wasn't head over heels for him like she was. I was over it before I even realized how I felt.

"Korra," I whispered, wishing that she would hear me and come back, but Uncle Tenzin stepped into the room instead.

"She's gone, and I'll be leaving as well. If you need anything, Pema will be close by."

I nodded, and he was gone, too. What was I to do? I couldn't really do much. I was still in a lot of pain despite the healing session I'd had with Korra earlier, which turned out to be a very awful experience for me. Maybe I was being a bit of weenie, but who likes to hurt? I was no masochist.

Besides, even in my condition, I can feel grateful for many things: Amon hadn't captured me, Korra and the boys were okay, I was alive, and my mother was blissfully uninformed of my condition. I couldn't complain... much.

I went back to sleep for a while since there wasn't much else I could do, and I woke up around noon to Aunt Pema bringing in some soup for lunch. 

"Thanks," I told her, taking the bowl with a smile. It was hard to hold it up, but I could manage. "It's too quiet in here."

"I'll just turn the radio on for you then," Aunt Pema said happily. "That way you don't feel so disconnected, and it won't be quiet."

I thanked her again as she left and pulled my door closed.

The radio buzzed in the corner about the latest news concerning the Equalists - as per usual. Chief Beifong had uncovered a printing press owned by a corporation within the city.

"No! Not my Cabbage Corp!" A man's voice yelled in the background.

I listened to interviews about Cabbage Corp for what felt like days until I looked out the window and noticed that it was dark already. Korra should be coming back soon. Maybe another round of healing would fix me up enough to get on my feet.

"I'm sorry it took a while," Korra apologized. "Master Katara could have healed you within minutes."

I stood up for the first time in two days. It still hurt to move, but not nearly as bad. This, I could handle. "Don't worry about it. I'm fine, and that's all that matters. You're the best, Korra."

She feigned a bit of a smile in my direction as she turned to leave. "Where are you going?" I asked.

"Asami's house - or rather mansion. She invited me."

And of course, she would go. Since Mako and Bolin were living there, she just couldn't help herself but to check it out just a little bit.

"You wanna go? I mean, if you think you can. I don't want to go alone."

I nodded and asked for a minute or thirty to get around and get used to walking again while Korra waited for me, grateful yet worried.

When we reached the Sato residence, I was worn out. I hadn't gotten any exercise laying in bed like I had been, so I tired easily. A servant escorted Korra and I to the pool, where the Asami and the boys were swimming. Exhausted I sat on the first bench I saw, one by the pool, and Korra sat beside me as they greeted the two of us.