9. Out of the Past

I woke up to Uncle Tenzin shaking me awake. Rubbing my eyes, I asked quickly what was going on. He didn't say anything for a moment but then said solemnly, "Come with me."

I had to admit my confusion as to why he was asking me to go with him to the city hall. It seemed more like an Avatar thing, but when I voiced my concern, Uncle Tenzin said nothing. Moments later we were there, at the seen of an Equalist attack in the middle of City Hall. Tarlock was being treated by a healer as we approached, and he was looking pretty rough.

As he relayed what had happened the previous night, it was obvious why I was there instead of Korra. She was taken by Equalists. I flashed back to the time that Amon had let Korra go without taking her bending. Had he decided that now was the time for them to settle things? There was nothing that had happened that would make me think so. Uncle Tenzin continued his discussion with Tarlock and eventually spoke with news reporters as I walked around and surveyed the damage done. Pillars were cracked and looked about to fall. The floor had been shattered by what had to be Korra's earthbending. There was a clearly a struggle involving Korra, so I was inclined to believe Tarlock's story.

Somebody! Help, please! I heard Korra's voice in the distance somewhere. But I hadn't heard it, not really. It was more like I felt it but only for a brief moment. Images then flooded to me, but none of the made any sense. There were no words with them, but I could recognize my grandfather in his younger years easily. He looked much the same minus a few wrinkles, and it couldn't be anyone else. There were no other airbenders except Uncle Tenzin and my cousins. None of the images made sense, but I couldn't brush something so strange off that easily. But I kept it to myself nonetheless.

Uncle Tenzin pulled me up to his office to make a few phone calls and receive a few just the same. I rested in a uncomfortable chair as he spoke with person after person. But then the doors behind me opened loudly, and I turned to see the intruder. Beifong walked in tailed by Mako, Asami, and Bo.

I stood and walked up to my three friends immediatly to give them all a hug. As I reached Bo though, our arms stayed around each other. "Lin? What are - what are you doing here? You should be in the hospital!" Uncle Tenzin scolded his ex-girlfriend in a way that made me think that his feelings for her were still stronger than they should be. "And you three! You should be in prison!"

"I figured you could use our help finding Korra," Beifong said in her usual manner.

Mako stepped forward immediately and asked, "Do you have any leads?"

As always, everyone's tone of voice gave their emotions away. Mako, of course, was most eager to find her. I suppose that made Asami the least eager. If she knew the truth, that was.

"I've been on the phone all morning, but - nothing yet."

Uncle Tenzin walked around his desk to speak with everyone more properly. "We need Naga," Mako decided quickly. "She can track Korra."

"My thoughts exactly, Mako, but we can't find Naga either. My guess is that she is already tracking Korra on her own," I told him a bit sadly, yet I was still slightly relieved that Naga would definitely find out where she was taken.

"Then where can we start?" Bo asked the entire room. That's what I wanted to know as well.

One thing in the conersation led to another, and we were all running from the city hall at Mako's lead. We ended up back at the place where Bolin had been kidnapped from two days before we met. We ran down the street until we reached a four way. Then we weren't sure, but Beifong used her earthbending to sense a tunnel beneath the ground nearby. We headed in that direction immediately, but as we reached the tunnel, I was already tired out.