12: Late Night

"Impmon!" Kyle ran forward, catching him before he hit the ground.

"Whoa! What just happened?" Ulrich asked. "He got a lot smaller!"
"He De-Digiolved. He's now back on the rookie level. You have a lot to learn about Digimon, Ulrich..." Kyle said. "Let's get him back to the real world, then turn over our patrol to the others."

"Fine." Ulrich scoffed. "Just don't expect me to feel sorry for him or you. Remember, you got us into this."

"You're all heart, Ulrich." Kyle replied with heavy sarcasm.

* * * * *

Later, at Kadic, 2:00 AM Local Time...

Impmon woke up. The past few weeks seemed like a memory now. Being under XANA's Control... It all seemed like a dream now. He looked up as the world came into focus. He was in what appeared to be a dorm room. It was night. He remembered Kyle describing what a dorm room was long ago, when he had to attend a different school.

This wasn't the same room Kyle described. It was different. Impmon sat up. He saw Kyle sleeping at the foot of the bed, slumped over with his knees tucked into his chest, a blanket covering him.

Impmon was relived. This was no dream! He was finally free of XANA's control!

Impmon got up, still feeling a little sore in his shoulder. He walked up, and poked Kyle. Poke. Poke. Poke.

"Jeremie, what is it?" Kyle said groggily, sitting up. "It's two in the morning, for crying out loud..."

"Who 'da heck is Jeremie?" Impmon demanded. His voice caught Kyle's attention. He looked up, eyes open.

"Wait a minute... You don't mean Jeremy Clarkson, the British car critic that may be or may not be friends with Simon Cowell?" Impmon said jokingly. Kyle then knew that Impmon was not only okay, but he was no longer under XANA's control! Only he could make wise cracks like that!

"Impmon!" Kyle grabbed up Impmon in his arms, starting to cry. "You're okay! You're back! You're really back!"

"Thanks to you and your new friends." Impmon replied.

"Kyle, what is it? It's two in the morning!" A voice groaned. Impmon turned his head to see Jeremie Belpois sitting up in bed, putting on his glasses. When he saw Impmon, he froze.

"Jeremy, it's okay. It's him. He's not under XANA's control!" Kyle said.

"How do you know?" Jeremie snapped, grabbing his lamp, ready to use it as a blunt instrument.

"Jeremie Belpois!" Kyle snapped. "Calm your ace of spades in your chest! If he was under XANA's control, or under the control of anyone else, I would know..."

"What's going on in there?!" A voice growled outside the door. It was Jim, Kadic's Physical Education teacher! Both boys' attitudes shifted to panic!

"Impmon, ninja vanish!" Kyle whispered. Impmon then jumped up onto the window sill, throwing open the window, and hid on the ledge of the window!

"Someone open this door!" Jim demanded. Jeremie went over, and answered the door, acting groggy as Kyle slid back into bed.

"Yes, Jim?" Jeremy said with a well-timed yawn.

"What is going on in there?" Jim demanded. "I was walking around and I heard a bunch of noise in here!"

"What is that...?" Kyle said, sitting up as he played his part looking at his alarm. Then he looked at Jim with scorn.

"Jim! It's two in the morning! What is this, some kind of late night fire drill?!" Kyle growled, telling Jim off. "If there was anything going on in here, you would know about it! Now go back to bed! We have classes in the morning, in case you forgot!"

Jeremie looked at Kyle, dumbstruck! He never knew anyone who would have told Jim off like Kyle just had!

Jim shot Kyle a leer. "Kid, if you give me any more lip, I'm writing a note to Headmaster Delmas about your behavior and disrespect!"

"Yeah, you do that." Kyle said. "So, unless you have probable cause to harass me and my roommate, get out."

Jim let out a small growl of disapproval before leaving the room.

Jeremy looked at Kyle, wide-eyed as he locked the door. "Are you crazy?!" Jeremy hissed in a whisper. "He'll write you up for sure!"

"If I recall Kadic's 'rules of engagement' correctly, I have a right to face my accuser." Kyle replied quietly.

Jeremy looked worried. "What will you say? That your pet Digimon woke us up?"

"No." Kyle replied. "I'll say that I had a nightmare, and had just finished confiding to my roommate for support, and was on my way back to sleep, when Jim started hammering on the door and woke us up."

Jeremie looked at Kyle for a moment, then smiled. "Good plan. Best I've heard from you."

"So you will help me if it comes to that?" Kyle said as Impmon sneaked back in.

"Sure." Jeremie said. "Now let's all get back to sleep."

"Agreed." Kyle scooted over, getting a second blanket for Impmon, and they all went back to bed.