Chapter 8: The Frantic Hours

Just as Arthur suspected, Selenia protected him during the hours of the night, defending his mind from nightmares and keeping a smile on his face while he slept. And when morning arrived, and radiant, glowing sunlight streamed into the room, Arthur's eyes snapped open, and a grin of unimaginable excitement spread its way across his face. His heart began to beat at a mile a minute, and he flung the covers off of himself as he launched out of bed. 

"Wake up, Dylan!" He exclaimed, as he rushed for the door. He heard a loud moan of irritation as he left his room, but he carried on, sprinting down the hall and into the bathroom as quickly as his legs would carry him. He finally paused, taking a moment to look at himself in the mirror. His reflection looked back, physically shaking from the raw excitement of the day. The two of them shared a nervous smile. 

The day had finally come. For almost twenty moons now, Arthur had been forbidden from enjoyment on this day. By his father, by Maltazard, by the Professor, by nature itself apparently. But at last, after what always felt like an eternity, the day of the tenth moon had finally arrived. Again. The faithful day when the moon was at the end of its tenth cycle, and when the passageway would open. The day, when he could reunite with the Minimoys. With Betameche. But most importantly, he could reunite with the one girl who's mere existence had transformed Arthur's dull, mediocre life into an endless journey of peril, romance, and adventure.

Selenia.

He shook himself awake, gazing into the mirror for a few seconds, before beginning to brush his teeth with a speed of purest insanity, and was out of the bathroom and rushing down the stairs just as Dylan managed to step out of his room, still rubbing his eyes.  

"Just because it happens to be the day you can see Selenia again, DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN SPRINT AROUND THE HOUSE LIKE A MANIAC!" Dylan shouted down after him, before sighing and heading to the bathroom himself. But the excitement had gone straight to Arthur's head, and it didn't seem like the words even entered his ears. He spun round the corner of the entrance corridor at such a speed he was almost sliding, slipped onto a chair at the dining table, and finally exhaled. His grandparents were waiting for him, Archibald reading a newspaper and Daisy organising breakfast. However, at Arthur's sudden and dramatic entrance, the two had ceased their current activities, and were simply staring at him in shock. Arthur looked from one to the other, before putting on an ecstatic smile.

"Morning!" He exclaimed cheerfully. Daisy shook her head and went back to making breakfast as Archibald put down his newspaper and smiled at his grandson.

"Good morning, Arthur." He replied politely as footsteps sounded in the corridor, which soon gave way to the appearance of Armand, Rose, and Dylan. 

"Morning sweetie!" Rose said happily, bending down to kiss Arthur's head as she moved round to the other side of the table. Armand quickly followed, greeting Arthur with a light ruffling of his hair, which Arthur shook off humorously, before taking his seat next to him, just as Daisy emerged from the kitchen with the first two plates in her hands, which she handed to Archibald and Arthur. Dylan scowled at him as he slowly descended into his seat on the other side of Arthur. 

"You're dangerous." Dylan stated. Arthur grinned at his friend.

"Good morning to you too."

"Hmm! Maybe you should have led with that, and not 'Wake up, Dylan!'" Dylan stated sarcastically, as two more plates full of food found their way onto the table in front of Armand and Rose. Daisy sighed as she went to retrieve the last two plates.

"Honestly Arthur, you really ought to contain that excitement of yours! One of these days you'll end up getting hurt!" Daisy complained. 

"Oh, leave him be, Granny. Why shouldn't Arthur let off a little steam?" Armand asked positively.