'Grounded'

Zoe's POV:

Jake's phone alarm wakes me from my sleep, I look over to see Jake turn off his alarm.

"Who's ready to hit the beach." Dad says, walking in the room already dressed and ready. I roll my eyes and huff. We then get ready and go to the beach, I bring another book with me, the next one in the Harry Potter series (The Chamber of Secrets), as I know I'll get bored. I'm reading my book while we walk, Jake helping me to make sure I don't fall over.

"Oh my..." Dad says, I look up to see a tent set up. "Unbelievable, right in the middle of a nesting area. What kind of idiot does that?"

"Actually, the main nesting area is over there." I say, along with anther voice. We both point to another spot.

"I can show you if you'd like." The man says. "It's marvellous to meet a fellow bird spotter. John Lamont." He shakes dad's hand.

"Franklin Portman." Dad says. "This is my son Jake," The man shakes his hand. "And my daughter Zoe." Then man shakes my hand also. "That's a hell of a camera you've got there." Dad says to him. I just roll my eyes and go back to my book, half listening to their conversation.

"Oh thanks, it's absolutely fantastic." John says. "I'm here to do some snaps for a book I'm writing. So, you gentlemen, and woman, here on holiday?"

Dad says yes, ashamed of his lack of smart equipment. And we journey back to the pub, Jake still helping me walk safely. Dad is sitting watching the darts on TV, while John Lamont is making people laugh by the bar.

"So, you're not going to the beach today?" Jake asks.

"What's the point?" Dad says. "If that guy is gonna cover Cairnholm in some big, glossy book, no one's gonna even wanna look at mine. I think I'll just take a nap."

"I don't suppose you saw Uncle Oggie on your travels this morning, did you?" Kev asks, bringing dad another pint. "He's usually here by now."

"We could go look for him." Jake says.

"You're not going anywhere." Dad says. He finishes his pint and then we go into the room, Jake and I sit on our beds and wait for him to fall asleep. He starts snoring and I look over to Jake, he nods.

"I'll just grab my scarf." I whisper to him. He nods and goes down the stairs, but only to come back. I look time him with a questioning face.

"People, let's go out the window." He says. I nod and together we climb out he window. Journeying to the loop and then the house.