The Children's Home- 1943

Zoe's POV:

Together we then walk towards the house, the door opens as we approach it. There stands Alma Peregrine. She's wearing a blue dress and smoking her pipe, just as Grandpa described.

"Miss Peregrine, delighted to meet you both." She greets, shaking Jake's hand then mine. She then turns to the others. "I do hope I'm not going to have the pub landlord with the police knocking on my door again, I've had to kill him twice this month, it's been terribly inconvenient."

"Millard broke a few things. That's all." Emma says, "And Olive may have started a tiny fire." She notices Miss Peregrine's gaze harden. "But they were going to hurt Jake." Then she takes Olive and Millard inside. We go to follow but Miss Peregrine blocks our path.

"Look at you, last time dear Abe sent me a photograph you, Jake, were a tiny tot, but you Zoe were a small baby in his arms." Miss Peregrine says, "Don't just stand there. Come in. Your tea's getting cold."

"How did you know about the pub?" Jake asks as we walk through the house.

"You weigh approximately 109 pound, correct?" Miss Peregrine starts.

"I don't..." Jake starts.

"Yes, he does." I say.

"Bronwyn and the twins returned 6 minutes after you ran away." Miss Peregrine continues.

"I think I'm missing something." Jake says.

"And quite apart from the fact that the perceived safety of the pub-" Miss Peregrine says, but I cut her off.

"It would make it the most likely place that you would flee to, it would take you 18 minutes to run there." I continue, shocked that I suddenly know this knowledge.

"Emma and Millard would have been moments behind with a horse and trap, travelling at 8.2 miles per hour." Miss Peregrine continues, not phased by my interruption. "Factoring in some sort of kerfuffle at the pub and the return journey with your added weight-"

"You would arrive here at approximately 13 minutes past 4." I finish, as Miss Peregrine holds up her pocket watch to show the time as 13 minutes past 4.

"Now, then, do you take sugar." She asks.

"No thank you, for both of us." I answer, we walk into the kitchen to see Olive using her heat hands to boil the kettle.

"That'll do. Thank you, Olive." Miss Peregrine says, "Nobody likes over-boiled tea." I hear someone with jars and I look to see a boy.

"Let me help you with those, Enoch." Olive says, pouring our tea.

"Don't bother, wouldn't want to interrupt your little tea party." He says, his accent strong, walking off. I follow after him.

"Do you need help?" I ask, he turns to me, with a look that says 'no'. "It's said that 51% of 18-24 year old's loose their footing on the stairs, 28% being males. This statistic increases with the fact that you are carrying something that obstructs your view, no matter how slight the obstruction may be. Also the fact that if you have liven since 3rd September 1943, then you would be, in fact, older than 24, which would raise the percentage itself." I look to see Enoch, Olive, Jake and Miss Peregrine staring at me. "What?" I ask.

"Nothing, my dear." Miss Peregrine replies, "We need to have a talk later." I nod. "Come and drink your tea, Olive will help Enoch." I enter back into the kitchen and Olive leaves.

"I'm sorry for your loss, you two."Miss Peregrine says, breaking the silence.

"You know, then?" Jake asks.