Chapter Forty Two

With my legs crossed I contemplated my hand of cards. My focus was on the numbers, but that didn't halt the thoughts in the back of my mind. It was hard to be completely single-minded when your life had made a complete 180 in a matter of a couple of weeks.

I didn't think Colin minded me taking my time. It seemed as though he was just happy to have me around. Another completely new occurrence.

I zoned back in as Colin glanced up at me, and then I laid down a few cards and passed my turn.

A dozen and a half games later, Uli stole Colin away for a bath. This left me to find a seat on the couch and wait for Link to come looking for me. Or lunch. Whichever came first, really.

As I dissolved backward into the incredibly comfy cushions, I pulled out my phone.

Saturday, December 23rd, 2:03 P.M

I had the remainder of that day and Sunday. Monday we would leave late in the evening... and I had no idea what would be waiting for me when I returned. My parents couldn't know where I was. I had made sure they couldn't locate me - even if they tried, which there was little chance of. They were probably irrevocably convinced that I wouldn't even leave the apartment. And they wouldn't know where I was going for coffee because I'd paid with cash... Cash that I would have run out of if Link hadn't started giving me the free coffee for our agreement.

Our agreement which was over now.

... But there was one thing I wasn't so sure of. I knew that my parents--that my father --wouldn't personally look for me, but would they send the weasel to find me? I had some hope that it wouldn't happen until New Year's, but there was a chance... 

I sighed and leaned further back into the couch. I hated Cole. And I didn't doubt that if he tried, he could find me.

Just thinking about that made me sick. My shoulders and back tensed. Dwelling on this - trying to determine what my future would hold - was not an activity that led to a peaceful mind.

I knew nothing of the future. I had only ever hoped that one day... maybe... I could be an author. That one day, maybe, I could run far, far away from my life. Live anonymously. Completely unknown. Where no one would know my name. Where no one would point at me as I passed them on the sidewalk. No one could even think to tell me who I was. To inform me of my worth in the world. To command me to do anything.

To punish me for simple mistakes.

I stopped my hand from sliding to the scar on my arm - a quiet groan slipped out of me and I shook my head. It won't be your life anymore... you won't be going back.

You won't be going back.

"Zelda?"

I flinched back in my seat and my eyes opened in a flash. 

Link was crouched in front of the sofa. "I'm sorry..." he said quietly. "Didn't mean to startle you."

"No, you're fine," I replied, shaking my head; not that that helped to clear it.

"I just wanted to ask..." he hesitated, still looking concerned, "if you would want to go on a walk with me after lunch."

I blinked, trying to hide the turmoil while climbing out of the hole at the same time. "A walk?"

"There are woods on the property. It's quiet, apart from nature sounds. Might be a nice break."

I pressed my lips together. "A break sounds nice," I said softly, "but... I'm no good in nature. I've never been in a forest of any kind before. I think I've set foot in a park maybe three times."

"I'll help you," he assured.

"Then... sure. I would love to," I said and smiled. "It would probably help me write since I've got quite a few forest scenes and I'm probably pretty bad at describing them."

"I can't imagine you'd be bad at it... but I hope it does prove helpful."

I rolled my eyes. "I do have my weak points, you know."

His hand fell onto my knee. "I know." Before I could reply, he stood up and held out his hand. "Lunch is ready."

I frowned. "How do you know? I didn't hear the bell-" and it rang right as I finished saying it.

He winked. "I can tell."

I took his hand and he pulled me to my feet. A sharp popping noise interrupted the otherwise smooth movement. 

"What was that?"

"Just my shoulder," I replied, moving my free hand to rest on it. "It does that sometimes, but it doesn't hurt much."

"It hurts?"

I shrugged, trying not to dwell on it. "A little. What's for lunch? I feel like I just ate."

~*~

After lunch, I went up to my room to grab my gloves and a heavier undershirt. I met Link at the front door and put on my coat and scarf. I felt too warm with all my layers on, so I left the house before him and welcomed the rush of the cold air. Every time I felt the chill it seemed like a rebellion and I savored it.

"Are you ready?" he asked. "We should go before Colin tries to come with us."

I smiled. "I'm surprised he hasn't had enough of me.

"I'm not."

I rolled my eyes. "Is every word out of your mouth going to be sweet?"

"No." He tugged at the scarf around his neck. When I didn't say anything, he continued, "I'm not... as perfect as you think I am."

My eyes widened. I tugged him to a stop. "I'm not presuming you to be," I said, lowering my voice. 

He only shook his head and tightened his hand on mine. "I don't want to disappoint you."

I shook my head too with a sigh through my nose. "Another thing we have in common."