Chapter Thirty Six

1/26/18

~*~
Friday

(9:00 P.M)

"What's the score?"

I looked up at Uli. "I've won twice," I said proudly.

"I've won nine."

Uli shook her head as she looked between us, an amused smile on her lips. "Well, I'm glad it's not completely one-sided..." she said, then put her hand on her hip. "It's time for bed, Colin."

The boy's eyelids drooped in disappointment, but he didn't argue. Perhaps because we had played over two dozen games that day.

Uli turned to me while he cleaned up our cards. "Thank you for being so good to him."

I smiled but shook my head. "It's been great," I replied. "I don't deserve any thanks for such a good time."

"Regardless, I do thank you," she said, then she took her son's hand and left the living room.

Then I was sitting alone on the living room floor. I did, of course, have the option of cycling through thoughts, such as processing Uli's tone of slight concern, worrying some more about my situation, or perhaps finally addressing the monumental fact that Link had kissed me. Several times.

Instead, I took the option to stand up and walk over to join Link.

He was still sitting talking to Midna, but when I came near he held out his hand. "Hey," he greeted.

I replied in kind easily, then asked, "Did I interrupt anything?"

Midna shook her head. "Only catching up. Talking business."

"Are you in the family business as well?" I asked.

"In a way."

"Midna runs a twenty-four-hour diner."

"My family runs a diner."

Link rolled his eyes. "Uh-huh. You're telling me you don't do half the work yourself?"

She shook her head, then leaned it against her hand. "It's getting late."

At Link's nod of agreement, my eyes narrowed. "What?" I said. "It's barely after nine."

"That's when this family starts to shut down. We're early risers."

I shuddered inside. "How early is early?"

Midna laughed. "Don't worry about it, you're not expected to change your sleep schedule for the rest of us."

With a sigh of relief, I turned to Link. "So... it's time to say goodnight?"

He hesitated, then nodded. "Yeah, I'll be expected up early and it would be good to have enough sleep."

At that point, Aryll walked up to stand beside me. "Hey Zelda," she greeted, "We're gonna start getting ready for bed now. You want to join us?"