Chapter Forty One

Link sat back in the sun, soaking in the chilled warmth that the rays provided. He seemed to always have that smile. Was it simply my imagination that said it was because of me?

It didn't matter... Regardless, I had gotten my confirmation for yesterday's event not being a fluke. And he certainly hadn't changed his mind.

I felt it in the tip of my nose first, and I didn't even think to fight it. There was a tightness beside my eyes as they began to water, and my vision clouded over. "How did I get so lucky?"

Link didn't even open his eyes, but he took my hand easily. "I'd like an answer to that question too."

As the first tear fell, and I snuffled, I said, "I'm a mess."

"You're my mess now, Zel." He leaned to the side and rested his head on my shoulder. "If you want me to be a part of it, that is."

I closed my eyes and raised a hand to wipe at the tears. Ever since I had met him there had been something new. I had entered that coffee shop not knowing how much it would mean to me. How much it would change my life. But... was I any different? I still held tight to my feigned normal; still clung to my denial. Everything from our first meeting to the words, "this is real," weighed down on my shoulders. Danced for my attention. Everything that had happened, hadn't happened, almost happened in his apartment. Everything that had happened just the day before. It had been so much... We had gone from questions to answers in that one day.

But there was still everything I was blocking out. The memories I kept locked away because I didn't want to look at them. I had an entire life story he had no clue about. "You... don't know what you're asking for, Link."

"I know that I mean what I say."

The tears kept a steady pace down my cheeks. "But... It's not..."

He moved his hand slowly up and down on my arm. "I'm not demanding answers or explanations, Zel. I'm just here."

His arm moved around my shoulders and I leaned into him, burying my face into his jacket. "I don't deserve you," I said quietly. I think I meant to keep that in my head.

"I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be the judge of that," he replied, lifting his other arm to wrap around me.

"You..." I couldn't find a word that would even describe how incredible he was for being so... understanding. "I don't think I could even write a character as great as you."

"Thank you," he replied. "I'll try to live up to that."

When I leaned back I chuckled, though it was slightly mixed with a hiccup. "There I go crying into your jacket again."

"It'll dry," he said with a smile, "I'm just glad you feel like you can."

"You're welcome?" I laughed lightly.

Unlike every situation before, we managed to resolve our conversation before the interruption arrived.

The panting and rattle of nails on stone preceded the appearance of the dog, Hero, who wasted no time in putting his front legs up on Link's knees.

"Really, Hero?" Link said.

I leaned over and pet him between the ears almost the moment he appeared. "Cute boy..." I said quietly as I rubbed at my eyes with my free hand.

"He's a good dog," Midna said from somewhere I couldn't see. "Makes sure any brother of mine is behaving."

"Of course I'm behaving, Mid," Link replied with a growl of annoyance.

Midna appeared from the edge of the house. "You're making Colin sit in the middle of the gazebo waiting for you two to finish your PDA."

"We're finished," Link replied, "and it's not a public display of affection when you're alone, Mid."

"It is when you can be seen by any passerby," Midna countered, gesturing at herself.

"Yeah, because so many of us come out here during Christmas."

I glanced between them as they talked, thankful that Link had elaborated on what the acronym had meant. I raised my hand and hesitantly interrupted. "Um..." I began, "Colin is sitting in the middle of the gazebo?"

"Like a lost puppy," Midna replied with a roll of her eyes.

I stood up immediately, then I hesitated and looked at Link.

"He's fine," he said with a shrug. "He has made an art form of looking dejected. If he was really sad he'd be inside looking for something to do."

"Still..."

Link chuckled. "I'm not stopping you."

I smiled. "Right." I patted Hero on the head as I passed and then hurried onto the path, shaking my hands in the cold air and then pressing them against my face to try and soothe the blotches I knew had to be on my cheeks and around my eyes.

Link was crazy. 

He was so willing to get himself caught up in my storm. He had no idea if there was even an eye or not but he was willing... wanting. I knew that even if I told him everything he wouldn't back down from that promise to stay with me. To be my support.

Before I'd met him, I never would have imagined a person like that. Someone whom I could even think about telling everything to. Someone who demonstrated... dare I even think it.... their love through understanding. It didn't have to be romantic love. The kind of love he was showing now was a better basis for a relationship than the latter. 

I stepped around the house and thought about it. How could I even bring up the topic? Did I want Urbosa to help me? Would I wait until I had to tell him, or tell him before anything happened? I pushed all that away as I put a foot up onto the step of the gazebo.

Colin was up on his feet and smiling before I could take another step. "Hey Zelda! Can we play cards?"

"What do you think I'm here for?" I replied as I turned on my heel and beckoned him to follow me back to the house.