Chapter Twenty Six

11/18/17

~*~

Friday

(4:45 P.M)

When you're in the arms of someone you're falling in love with.... what are you supposed to do?

Do you hold still, do you tighten your hold?

Do you start crying?

Well... that was what I was doing.

Silent tears had become a hidden skill of mine. Outward signs of weakness were not tolerated. Not much was.

My fingers tightened around Link's jacket, bunching up the fabric as I tried both to get closer to him and to stop my fingers from trembling.

His hand rose to rest under my hair. He didn't say a word, and I was grateful for that. For quiet comfort. No demand for answers.

Why are you crying, I asked myself.

I can't... always...

You're weak.

I know I am... My fingers tightened still further. Any more and I would probably hurt myself. But I will at least control my own thoughts. And with that... I stopped thinking.

The silence broke as I finally allowed my emotions to overtake me.

It was... strange... to have only known him for a month, yet to already trust him. To trust him with seeing me vulnerable, as only Urbosa could. To be vulnerable meant to put aside my guard, to drop the illusion of... of being completely whole.

His arms were tight around me, and it was exactly what I needed. Exactly what I wanted. It wasn't sympathy, it wasn't pity, it was just silence; him. He was there for me.

My ears were frozen by the grip of the air when I finally started to let go of him. My arms ached, both from the strain of my hold and from the cold. "I..." I stared at his chest. "Sorry..."

It took him a moment to reply. "What do you have to be sorry for?"

My eyes widened. I didn't move. I chose my answer carefully. "I... got your shoulder wet... I made you stand out in the cold..."

"I made you stand out in the cold earlier," he said, bringing his hand up to my tear streaked face. He stroked one away with his thumb. "Did..." he hesitated. "Did something happen here?" 

I shook my head, but only a little since his hand was on my cheek. "No, I just... never learned to play cards..." Another sob tried to choke me, but I managed somehow to choke it first.

Link tried not to look confused... but it didn't work.

"I know," I said with a chuckle. "It's not something you'd cry over..." I looked down at my hands. I can't... tell him. I can barely admit it to myself anymore. "Uli just... brought back memories of when I was Colin's age... and they're ones I don't... want to remember."

Link looked down at my hands. They were clenched again, this time around the front of his jacket. Before he could reply, I spoke again.

"Uli is a very nice woman though... she..." I hesitated then shook my head and didn't continue.

Link nodded, slow in his motion. "She really is... they're all great." He moved his hands down to mine; they were like fire against ice. "The cold isn't going to do you any good," he said softly. "We should get the stuff and go in."

My gaze flicked up to him, a shadow of panic hidden in my eyes. "I can't have anyone see me like this," I said.

His hands tightened around mine, and Link pressed his lips together as he thought. "Okay... then we'll take all of it into my room, and you can stay there until you're ready to come back out."

"You'll stay with me, right?" I asked, not even caring if I sounded desperate. At that moment, I was, and I wasn't going to fake otherwise.

Link faltered as he went to grab the bags. Then he looked at me, and a soft smile preceded his reply. "For as long as you want."

I looked up at him and smiled as best as a messy crier could.

Link went first, taking the bags into a side room by the front door.

While I was left outside in the cold, I felt warm. I'd... shown weakness. I'd let myself go, and he didn't even hesitate to come along with me.

He checked if the area was clear of prying eyes before beckoning me to come inside.

I steeled myself and walked up the steps. He took my hand when I came near, and my tear-streaked heart melted. This cannot be an act...

I can't even act this good.

The door shut behind us and I had to take a deep breath so I wouldn't start crying again. This time... because I knew I wasn't alone.

I may not exactly know where I stood with him, but I knew now that it was on solid ground.