Chapter 1

As I walked out of school, I see a group of girls coming my way. Oh great, I thought. You might think that these girls were going to come and push me around. No, it was the complete opposite. I was the sheriff's daughter, so I was pretty famous around town. Not that I'm bragging about it--I hated it. I got so much attention. Those girls were coming toward me to talk me into going with them because they I make them seem more popular even though I'm not popular myself.

"Hey, Elizabeth," one girl said.

"It's Liz," I replied. I hated my real name. It was my mother's name, but she died giving birth to me.

"So. We were wondering if you would want to hang with us tonight. It would be fun," another said, I think her name is Sydney.

"I would love to but—" I was cut off by a siren. My dad's cop car siren to be exact. It was short, but it got everyone's attention to look at me. I casually made my way into the car even though I know what is about to come.

"Why don't you invite your friends over one day?" he asked before I could even shut the door.

"They aren't my friends. They just talk to me to become more popular." I replied.

I don't like to make friends who think I'm just going to get them more popular. It's not who I am. My last friend only wanted to take me to parties. That didn't turn out so well. So, I stopped making friends . . . and going to parties.

"You don't have to be so introverted all the time. Go out and enjoy life like Christopher. He's always out with his friends." Dad always compared me to my older brother. Christopher gets good grades, I get put in the advanced classes. Christopher gets to hang with friends, I get constantly nagged about how I'm not with friends. It's. Everyday. Of. My. Life.

We were on the road when we passed a group of Greasers coming from school. I recognized one of them from some of my advanced classes. I forgot his name though. Oh yeah! I'm a Soc. Soc is short for Social. There's a whole rivalry between the Socs and Greasers, and it only got worse after a Greaser stabbed a Soc and the Socs won a big rumble.

"Tomorrow I have to stay at work later and make sure that the boy being released doesn't get into much trouble after getting out of jail," he explained. Like I said, someone stabbed a Soc and was put into jail for about a year. The Soc is fine. Since then, he and his girlfriend moved out of town with some of their friends.

When we got home, I went straight to my room, put on a record, and began to read Gone with the Wind. It is one of my favorite books, but pretty soon my mind drifted off to other things and I fell asleep.

*Pony's P.O.V*

Steve, Two-Bit, and I were walking down the sidewalk when the sheriff's car came by. I'd seen it before down the street. I know his daughter goes to our school and that she lives around here. (I'm not a stalker, I've seen her walk around). Two-Bit and Steve were talking about something, and I was zoning out. I do that a lot. Pretty soon we arrived home. Steve went to the DX gas station where he works with my brother Sodapop.

Later that night, I headed to the Nightly Double to get my mind off of tomorrow. Tomorrow my best friend, Johnny Cade, gets to come home after almost a year in jail. You see, he and I were at the park when a group of Socs came and almost killed me by trying to drown me in a fountain. Johnny stabbed the leader, Bob, and Johnny went to jail for attempted murder. Bob, on the other hand, got his hand slapped and eventually moved out of state.

I looked up and realized the movie they were showing was To Kill A Mockingbird. I decided to leave early since it didn't really hold my interest. As I was walking back, I see headlights coming closer. They are just going to pass me. I was wrong. A group of Socs came out. It was too dark for me to see what they looked like.

"Well, well, well. Look what we have here. A greaser walking all alone," one of them said. He seemed drunk.

"You think we can take him?" Another said.

"Of course. He's alone." the third one said.

"You know, my friend was the one who stabbed one of you," I said trying to sound cool.

"That's old. That Soc is gone. We're the new ones in town." The middle one said.

"Dan, got that knife still?" the first said.

"Always, Christopher," he replied.

"Good. Dan you force him down, Joe punch him, I've got the wallet," Christopher said.

While they were talking I should've used my head, but I never do. I didn't even try to run until they started pulling me down. Dan, while holding me down, pulled out a knife and put it to my throat. Joe started punching me in the arm before moving on to my face. Christopher grabbed my wallet out of my pocket. They then drove off and left me there to walk home. I was bruised and had no wallet.

When I got home, and Darry and Soda took one look at me and knew I had been jumped. They kept saying things like I couldn't go out by myself anymore. After they quit ranting, I went to my room and crashed.