What's So Bad About Not Talking?

"Mikey, you ok?" Leo asked in slight concern. "Are you sick? Does your throat hurt?"

Mikey gulped, facing all of his brothers. What was he supposed to say? He couldn't speak. He'd disappoint them. Annoy them.

He smiled very wide and gave them a big thumbs up. Donnie didn't seem to be convinced and led Mikey to his lab to check his throat.

Mikey's heart was pounding. He was terrified that Donnie was about to discover his injury. Then he'd have to explain-

"Ok Mikey, open your mouth please." Donnie ordered. Mikey gave in and opened his mouth wide. Donnie shone a light in.

"Hmmm, your throat looks fine Mikey, it's not even inflamed." Donnie announced after checking a few things.

Mikey bit his lip nervously. He shrugged unhappily, making Donnie sigh. "Mikey, come on, can't you say something? Please?"

Mikey shook his head frantically, ran out of the lab and into his room where he slammed and locked the door shut.

"What are we going to do? What's wrong with him?" Leo wondered absently. Raph shrugged. "I dunno fearless."

Maybe we should talk to Sensei, let him know what's going on...maybe he'll have some advice?" Donnie suggested.

They decided that it couldn't hurt to try and strode off to the dojo where the wise old rat was peacefully meditating.

Back in his room, Mikey was quietly crying, trying not to make a lot of noise. He didn't know what to do. Crying made his side hurt way, was worse.

"I can't say anything...but it hurts, it hurts so much! I just want to be able to be happy again and by myself but...it won't make them happy."

He sniffled, wiping his eyes. He just wanted to speak again...but if he did, he'd fail at being a ninja and a brother.

He just had to stay silent.

He could do this.

He wasn't weak...

Was he?

The three brother entered the dojo silently, trying not to disturb their father too much while he was meditating.

"Um, father?" Raph murmured quietly, making Splinter open his eyes and look up. "What is it. my sons? I sense something is troubling you."

Leo spelled forward. "Well, it's Mikey." He began. "We're all worried about him, he's not acting like himself at all."

Splinter stood and sighed. "I too am worried about Michaelangelo, I sensed something was bothering him while I was meditating."

"He won't talk." Raph said bluntly. "He hasn't spoken since yesterday." He tried think of what could have impacted Mikey so much that he won't talk.

"I have noticed...by any chance, did any of you happen to have said something to cause Michaelangelo to act this way?"

Leo and Donnie looked at Raph who immediately put his hands up in a defense. "Hey, I didn't do anything!" He shouted.

"Um Raph, are you forgetting what happened on patrol yesterday?" Leo asked, raising an eyebrow thoughtfully.

"Ok, ok...I might have said something to upset him, but it was his own fault! He deserved it!" Raph finally admitted.

"Raphael!" Splinter spoke sharply, causing the red-masked turtle to straighten up. "What did you say to Michaelangelo?"

"I...yelled at him to shut up and said that...um things would be better if he didn't speak to all." Raph said, feeling very guilty.