Chapter 25

3rd P.O.V
Lucy and the rest of the larger group had gotten a lot closer to Tenrou island, the island in sight. Though, what the group saw wasn't to be happy about.

The island's large and luscious forest had been completely levelled, ash taking its place. They saw a large Makarov holding Mard and the exceeds who looked to be either unconscious or asleep, they were looking out over the carnage. Lucy's heart seemed to stop in her chest, her bad feelings now becoming reality. This was his power. The power to level a forest in a matter of seconds.

Once the ship had landed the group immediately got off, running towards Makarov, the exceeds and Mard. Makarov was now back to his normal size, tending to Mard's back that had a large scorch over it. At the sight of it the group froze.
"T-The Master did that to you..?" Jackal asked, stuttering slightly.
"He's not in control of himself, he cannot help it." Mard simply replied, his eyes closed.
"Wendy, can you heal him?" Makarov asked the short bluenette, Wendy nodded and ran over to the wounded demon, beginning to heal his wounds.

The sleeping exceeds now began to wake up one by one and were updated on the situation like the rest of the group. Their chatter was soon interrupted though.

"Red." They heard from the ashes. They all turned their heads to the cloud of ash that was next to them, a figure emerging from it.

Natsu.

His hair was a duller tone of pink, due to the ash, his skin was much paler than usual and his posture looked as if he was unconsciously walking, his back hunched slightly and his arms hung loosely in front of him.

His eyes were the things that startled the group. His eyes. They were the colour of fire. They were a mixture of red, orange and yellow, all in there together.

"Red." They heard again.
"N-Natsu..?" Lucy asked, her voice quivering under the fear she felt.
"Why is everything red?" He asked. The group was filled with confusion at his question, but kept their gazed firmly locked on the demon in front of them.
"Red." He stated again.
He seemed to be blankly staring into space. His gaze locked onto whatever was in front of him. Though, the group had no idea what he was actually seeing, seeing as he had constantly repeated the word 'red.'

Lucy gulped. She had no idea how she was going to stop this. Before, when he was E.N.D or Natsu, she could reason with him. But now... she wasn't so sure. But, it's worth a try.

"Natsu..? It's me.. Lucy?" She asked him, in hopes of him recognising her. His gaze slowly turned towards her, his eyes seemingly piercing into her soul. It made her want to scream. Why? Why him? Why did this all happen to him? He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve any of this.

She quickly dismissed her thoughts. She had no time for that. She needed to concentrate on the task at hand.

She slowly took a shaky step forward, silently reaching out her hand to him with little hesitation, her hand now resting on his cheek. She flinched at the feel of it. His skin was burning, it literally burnt her hand. But that didn't stop her from doing what she was doing.
"Natsu.. Please, stop this, it's your power, take control of it. You don't want this." She reasoned. Nastu's blank stare didn't change, and it made her want to cry. The happy, lovable pink haired salamander that she loved so much, staring at her like this, broke her heart. She hated how broken the gaze was.

She flinched when she felt a burning hot sensation on the other side of her hand that was touching the dragon slayers face. He had placed his hand on hers. This gave her hope, even if just a little, it still gave her some. She smiled at him, hoping to get a reaction back. It wasn't one that she was hoping for.