Chapter 2

"As some of you may know, Loki Somerset, in Grade 10 passed away on Saturday morning." said our principal Mr Johnson. I felt a stab of pain. I don't think I'll ever get over his death.

"Mr and Mrs Somerset would like thank you all for your comforting messages. And now we would like to have a minute of silence for Loki. My lips are sealed and I start to feel teary. I look over to my friend Kacey, who has eyes full of water. We exchange teary smiles, and hold our hands. I'm so lucky to have a friend like her.

Mr Johnson dismisses everyone to class, but he asks Kacey, Loki's brother Kane and a group of year 10 boys and I to come to him.

"You kids are invited to Loki's funeral. It will be held at Middleton Garden on the 16th of April." Mr Johnson declares. I silently start crying. He chose that date. Because of me. Kacey looks at me sweetly and I can tell she's thinking the same thing.

"It doesn't matter if you can't come. We just knew you guys were close to Loki." Mr Johnson said. I glance over at Kane. I hadn't thought about him. His own brother just died! Now I feel selfish.

"Now of to class, all of you!" Mr Johnson dismisses us, waving us away with his hands.

I'm glad I'm a bright student, because I can hardly concentrate all day. Just thinking about Loki. Loki laughing, Loki sitting with me... Almost all my thoughts are of Loki.

As I walk home from school, I glance up at the sky. Is he up there now, staring down at me with a big smile on his face? I hope so. Because I need him. If he is watching me, I can be strong.

For Loki.