Redemption

(Third Person POV)

Adam sat against the wall, eyes closed. It had been more than a day, and he began to think that Milo would not make good on his promise. Adam sighed deeply and began to accept his new life of isolation. He was about to let sleep take him when a guard knocked on his cell door. "Get up. You made bail," said the guard.

Adam was in disbelief. He hesitated before opening his eyes and standing up. He slowly made his way to the door, still not fully believing the situation. "Hurry up," the other guard said. "Lazy Faunus..."

Adam scowled but he did nothing, not letting his emotions get to him like he had countless times in the past. The guards cuffed him and led him towards the lobby, where he was shoved into a car and taken into Vale.

(Wreckage POV)

I returned to the police station the next night. The same receptionist was on duty tonight, and I asked her if Adam was here yet.

"Yes, he's in the holding cell. An officer will bring him out shortly," she said.

A moment later, an officer appeared with Adam. He unlocked Adam's cuffs and shoved him over to me. "Thank you," I said. They paid no more attention to me.

Adam and I exited the police station and grabbed a train to Beacon. Once we bought tickets and were settled in, Adam spoke. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't come."

"I don't break my promises. Speaking of promises, you promised to change. If I have just made the biggest mistake of my life in setting you free and you end up turning on all of us, I promise to will hunt you like a dog and gut you without remorse. Am I clear?" I looked him in the eyes.

"I did promise to change. I'm really going to hold myself to it this time."

"You better. If not for your own sake, then for Blake's. I'm gonna make a call to Ozpin. Tell him you're staying in the warehouse." I took my scroll out of a pocket on my suit as I did not wear my helmet and dialed Oscar's number.

He picked up a few seconds later. "Hello?"

"Hey Oscar. Do you mind if I talk to Ozpin?"

"Just a second." He shifted to Ozpin. "Hello, Milo. What can I help you with?"

"I have a favor to ask you, professor."

"Something tells me what that favor is."

"How do you know what I'm about to ask?"

"A magician never reveals his secrets, now does he? Regarding this favor, I would like to meet with the both of you in my office when you return from Vale. He may stay in the warehouse as long as your teammates allow it."

"Thank you, professor. We will see you shortly." I hung up.

—-

Adam and I got off the train at Beacon's stop and walked towards Ozpin's office. No one was out at night, making things easier for me as I would not have to explain anything. When we reached the tower, we ascended in the elevator until we got to Ozpin's office. Ozpin, Glynda, and Qrow were there. Adam and I stepped out of the elevator and walked towards that professors. I greeted the professors and glanced at Adam, whose facial expression showed confidence but eyes showed nervousness. Ozpin stood up and directed us to a seating area. "Please, sit," he said.

Adam and I sat on a couch and Ozpin sat in a chair across from us. Qrow and Glynda remained standing. "So," Ozpin leaned forward. "Do you remember what you said to me after the fight at Beacon? I do."

"Why would you ask if you remember? Adam asked.

"I want to know if you remember." Adam remained silent. "I recall you telling me that you wanted to be a huntsman when you were a boy, before the White Fang. Has this changed?"

"No, it hasn't. But I didn't get to attend one of those prestigious combat schools in Atlas. Instead, like all other Atlasian Faunus children, I was shipped off to work as a slave in a dust mine for the SDC. My dreams were crushed and my eye was blinded. When I saw there was a group that was dedicated to Faunnus equality, I joined. I didn't want to see any more of my kind sufffer the way I did. You know the story from there."

"What if I said I could offer you a second chance? Would you take it?"

"I would. But school is already underway-"

"It is not an issue. While it is quite unorthodox for combat school teams, I can add you to one as an unofficial fifth member. You will attend class and even compete in the Vytal Tournament if you would like." Ozpin turned to me. "Milo, would you mind if Adam joined your team?"

"Not at all. We talked it over, and we'd be happy to have him."

"Excellent. Adam, I will give you until next week to get settled in. You are both dismissed."

Adam and I stood up and exited. We descended in the elevator and made the short walk to the warehouse under the cover of darkness. As we entered, I noticed that my team was still up, which was unsurprising. I noticed nt only my team but... Blake? I noticed Adam's small smile become a nervous frown. I can't say I blame him. Blake walked over to us, waiting for Adam to do something. When he did not, I chimed in. "Why don't you guys go for a walk, y'know, to talk things over? I'm sure you have much to discuss."

Blake and Adam left in silence.

—-(Elsewhere nearby, Third Person POV)—-

He observed Adam Taurus walking along with a cat Faunus. They were speaking but he could not make out their words. He contacted his employer. "This is Manta. Target acquired. The mission is a go."