Reunion of Predators

I did not sleep much last night. The thought of the ship and its pilot haunted me, robbing me of my sleep. I rolled out of bed and put on the jumpsuit, following my team out of our room. We went to our classrooms in order and let the teacher give a synopsis of the class. Port, Oobleck, Raven, Glynda, Qrow. We stopped at the cafeteria for breakfast in between Raven's and Glynda's classes to simulate getting there for lunch. I was there physically, but not mentally. I was still thinking of the crashed ship.

The moment orientation was over, I grappled a lamp post in the direction of the warehouse. My teammates ran to keep up with me, but I did not bother to wait. I spoke to Scavenger through our neural link. Scav, fire up the ship. We're going to the desert, after that distress signal.

WAY HEAD OF YOU, WRECKAGE. DOES PROFESSOR OZPIN KNOW THAT WE ARE LEAVING? Scavenger asked me.

He doesn't need to know. Besides, we have the day off after orientation. I grappled the side of the warehouse, wallrunning after making contact. Scavenger had the ship outside the warehouse already.

I entered the ship and walked passed my Titan to the cockpit. "Scav, set a course for Menagerie using the coords you got last night." I watched as the GPS started a route.

My teammates sprinted up the entrance ramp as I was about to take off. "What the hell was that?!" Mercury yelled at me.

"That was me getting to my ship," I answered, not looking back.

"You almost left us behind!"

"Relax. I was going to wait for you guys." I shifted my attention back to the control panel. Making the ship hover, I pointed the ship in the direction of Menagerie. I put the ship on autopilot an removed my helmet, flying in Menagerie's direction.

—-

After about an hour of flying, the X shape that was my helmet visor started blinking. I put it on and an icon appeared on my HUD. "Long time, Hunter. Get out here or you've gone soft."

I raced to the cockpit, looking around until something hovered in front of the windshield

I raced to the cockpit, looking around until something hovered in front of the windshield. It really was him. The paintjob and red optic were unmistakable. "MMEI!" I yelled to my team. When they were all there, I motioned to the windshield. "As you can see, the Northstar unit in front of us has challenged me to a dogfight. Sit down and buckle up, cuz shit is about to get real!"

"And what does that mean?" Ilia asked.

"It means exactly what it sounds like." The Northstar flew just in front of me, staying just far enough away. It performed dives and twirls, which I mimicked the best I could with my dropship. Finally, the Northstar landed on my ship.

"Alright everyone, the ship stays on autopilot and don't touch anything. That includes you, Scavenger."

I opened the back ramp and jumped out, grappling the ship and pulling myself up to stand. I ran forward and grappled the Northstar Titan. I grabbed the battery and twisted, pulling it out, and placed it on my back. Soon after I jumped off, the hatch opened and the pilot jumped out. He lunged at me, but I redirected him with my data picks. He unsheathed a data knife and ran towards me. I blocked his strike and hooked his body with a pickaxe, throwing him down and standing over him. Reaching out a hand, I spoke. "Long time, no see, Viper."

He took my hand and I helped him up. He sheathed his knife. I climbed up his Northstar's chassis and put the battery back into place. He embarked his Titan and we flew down onto the open ramp. I closed it and he disembarked. Our Titans shook hands, as they were companions when I was an Apex Predator. I motioned for Viper to follow me.

We climbed the ladder to the main area where I left my team. "Guys, this is an old friend of mine from the Apex Predators, Viper. Viper, meet my team: Mercury, Emerald, and Ilia."

Viper bowed at my team, confusing them. "I am Voodoo 1," he said.

"Viper. Drop the whole soldier-by-the-book bullshit. Now. We don't use code names. We only use yours cuz you never bothered to tell us your real name."

"Fine. I'll drop it if you stop being a jackass, Hunter."

"Anyway... how do you know Milo, Viper?" Ilia asked.

"Hunter and I were both part of a Mercenary group known as the Apex Predators. We were usually assigned to missions together."

"Still calling me by my last name, huh?" I crossed my arms.

"Always have. Anyway, I assume you picked up that distress signal last night."

"Yeah. Scavenger brought it to my attention. We figured that they'd already be dead, so decided to wait 'til today. You got it too?"

"Yeah. Kane picked it up and told me."

"Kane's with you?"

"Yeah. We both decided to come here to Remnant."

"Why? You guys had it great with the Predators."

"You might want to sit down for this." Once I sat down, he continued. "A lot changed after you left the Predators, Hunter. A lot of things changed very very quickly. One of those things caused us to leave."

"What reason would that be?"

"We're only here because Blisk is dead and Ash is in command. She killed him."

"That BITCH! I'm gonna go back to Typhon and put a bullet in her head!"

"You don't have to. She's... she's here."

"What the fuck do you mean 'she's here'?"

"Kane and I went off world a day or two after Ash killed Blisk. We decided to go where you went. It's a nice planet, very calm."

Mercury snorted. "You obviously haven't been here too long. This planet is fucked up from top to bottom."

"Salem, Torchwick, the White Fang to name a few," Ilia said.

"Don't forget Atlas and their bullshit, saying they'll 'protect us.' Give me a break." Mercury used air quotes around 'protect us.'

"You two: shut up. Viper: keep talking," I ordered.

"Anyway, Ash and Richter followed Kane and I off world. We installed ghost chips in our ship, helmets, and Titans. They can't track us anymore. You may want these for your things, just so she can't find you." Viper handed me three ghost chips. I pocketed them and planned to install them later.

"Well, that's all the Predators except Slone. What did she do?"

"She actually went to the Militia. She and her Ion are kicking ass there. I heard that she's as skilled as Tai Lastimosa."

"Damn. Lastimosa's a legend."

"PILOTS, MMEI, WE ARE COMING UP ON MENAGERIE. WHERE SHOULD WE LAND THE SHIP?" Scavenger asked.

"Let's land in the desert. We'll make the trek into town if we need or want to."