Chapter Ten

Okay, this ones a long chapter but it really doesn't have much action in it. Its more of a filler chapter than anything but I promise that there will be WAY more action in the next chapter! 

Enjoy! and please vote for this story. It only takes about 10 seconds to vote. So please do! I also would love to hear what you guys that are reading this think of it. So drop a comment to loves! 

Thanks again for reading it means a lot. 

(sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes)

_______________________________________________________________________________

I woke up from my sleep screaming. My room was dark and all I could hear was the sound of the waves crashing against the ocean. It was only a dream, I repeated to myself over and over again. My mom’s in jail and she was never going to hurt me again. She can’t hurt me again. I won’t allow her to hurt me again.

Once I calmed myself down I got out of bed and threw on my robe. It was about 2 AM and there was no way I was going to be able to get anymore sleep tonight. Not after that nightmare that I just had. Walking downstairs and into the kitchen I grabbed a glass out of the cupboards and poured me a glass of apple juice.

With my glass in hand I walked into the living and up to the giant glass window that overlooked the ocean. It was so beautiful with the moon shining above it. It just looked peaceful and right now all I wanted was peace.

My name is Kendall Nicole Montgomery. My brother Mitchell Drew Montgomery died in a horrific boat accident when I was ten years old. Till this day I still blame myself. My mother started abusing me eight years ago because she believed that I was responsible for Mitchell’s death. My mother is now in prison and won’t be out for a long time. I know live in Dillon’s Beach, California. My mom won’t ever find me. I was going to start a new life.

I repeated this in my head over and over again until it all sunk it. When my mom was around and she used to beat me, I would say that to myself over and over again. Well the last few lines I didn’t say. After I would convince myself that my mother blamed me for my brothers’ death I would say that deep down inside her she loves me and that this isn’t her and eventually it would end. I used to think that was true. Until the day she took it too far.

I shook the thoughts of my mother and brother away. I decided instead of wallowing in self pity I’d go for a moonlit stroll on the beach. So I walked upstairs and changed into a pair of my American Eagle skinny kick jeans and then threw on a black v-neck.

My flip-flops were by the backdoor so I just threw my hair up in a ponytail and headed downstairs. I made sure I had my cell phone on me just in case I wasn’t back when dad woke up.

I decided not to wear shoes as I made my way out the backdoor without making a single noise and headed down the sand dunes towards the ocean.

The feel of the sand beneath my toes felt great. I don’t remember the last time I had been to the beach or been on a midnight stroll on the beach. It was an amazing feeling.

I walked up to the ocean and let the wave’s crash against my toes. The water was cold but it felt great. Living on the beach was going to be the best thing that ever happened to me and I knew it.

I decided to start walking further down the beach and this way I’d be able to explore while nobody was out and about.

There were a few sand crabs here and there that decided they wanted to scare the living shit out of me. I found a few shells walking down the beach as well but I had nothing to put them in so I threw them back in the ocean.

I couldn’t have been walking for more than twenty minutes when I heard a dog barking. I looked towards the barking and he had started running towards me. When the dog reached me I bent down and started to pet him.

“Hey there,” I spoke to him, “What are you doing out this late at night?”

I giggled as he licked my face. The dog was a golden retriever and he was gorgeous. He couldn’t have been more than four or five years old.

“What’s your name?” I looked around his neck for a collar but he wasn’t wearing one.

“Where’s your owner sweetie?” I looked around our surroundings but there wasn’t anyone in sight or anybody running and yelling for a dog.

“Well since I don’t see anybody you can come home with me,” I smiled standing up “but first we have to give you a name.”

I glanced him over and after finding out he was in fact a boy I decided on a name for him, “How about Bentley?”

He looked at me funny when I said Bentley. I let out a loud laugh and said, “Hmm how about Indiana?”

When I said the name Indiana his tail started wagging and that’s when I decided his name would be Indiana.

“Then its settled Indiana, you’re coming home with me.” I smiled and petted his head. “Come on boy.”

I said to him as I started running back to my new house. He followed me the entire way back. We entered my house and I poured him a bowl of water and boy was he thirsty.

“What is this?” I heard my dad speak from behind me.

I jumped not realizing he was already awake. I nervously ran my finger threw my hair.

“This is uh- Indiana. I found him on the beach. He has no collar and I waited for an hour but nobody came to claim him.” I sighed before continuing, “Dad, can we keep him?”

I used my puppy dog eyes on him that I knew he couldn’t refuse. Shaking his head he sighed before saying yes.

I jumped up and down with excitement. I’ve only ever had one dog in my life but that was before Mitchell died. My mom got rid of him right after, she said that it reminded her too much of Mitchell. I was heartbroken. I lost my dog and brother all in a short amount of time.

“Oh thank you daddy!” I yelled giving him a hug. “Come on Indiana time for a bath!”

I ran up the stairs and Indiana followed me. This was going to be the greatest thing that’s ever happened to me and I knew it.

As I started the bath my cell phone rang. I answered it not looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?” I asked

“You little fucking bitch, you think that you’ve gotten rid of me that easily think again. I will find you and the next time I get my hands on you, you’re dead!” before I could respond the person on the other end hung up the phone.

I dropped the phone into the bathtub and let out a piercing scream. Indiana curled up under my bed at my scream; my father ran into the bathroom and looked at me.

“Kendall! What’s wrong?” he questioned shaking my shoulders.

How did she get my number? I didn’t think she even knew my number by heart. She’s gonna get out and she’s gonna kill me.