Chapter Three

My mother sat down and looked at me. Her eyes were filled with hatred but she wore an apologetic smile on her face. I saw right through that smile though. For the second time that day I sent her a death glare, she flinched and I let out a small chuckle.

“Now, Mrs. Montgomery, can you tell me what happened on the day of August 14, 2009 please?” before she let my mother speak she added, “Please start from when you woke up that day to when you were arrested.”

My mother smiled wearily and began with her false testimony, “I woke up around 7 AM, which is normally the time I get up. My husband, Jay Montgomery, had already left for work. I took a shower and brushed my teeth. Once I was dressed I walked over to my daughters’ room, Kendall Montgomery. When I saw that she was still sleeping peacefully I let her sleep while I went to the kitchen and cooked breakfast.”  She took a breath and smiled, so far she was telling the truth. “I had made pancakes with a side of bacon and hash browns. I washed and cut up some fresh strawberries to put on top of the pancakes. Once everything was ready and set on the table I walked upstairs and woke Kendall up. It took a little bit of effort but once I told her that I had bacon she got up. She threw on her robe and followed me back into the kitchen.”

My mother took a breath and smiled over at the jury, “We were sitting around the kitchen table and eating and talking. She was telling me how she was excited to start her senior year of High School and how much fun it was go-“

“Excuse me your honor,” my father’s lawyer interrupted. “How does what she did in the morning have to do with the abuse that she inflicted upon my client?”

“It has everything to do with it. If she did, and I am not saying that my client did, but there might just be something that caused her to inflict pain on her daughter.” My mothers’ lawyer spoke up.

They both looked over at the judge waiting for his answer, “She may continue telling her entire story from the beginning.”

My father’s lawyer was beyond pissed off, he wasn’t a very patient man. From what I could tell my mother was telling the truth for the meantime.

“Please continue, Mrs. Montgomery.” My mother’s lawyer smiled at her.

My mother smiled before continuing, “As I was saying, Kendall was telling me how much she was going to have her senior year. She had all these ideas planned and she couldn’t wait for them to happen. After breakfast was finished I washed the dishes as she went to take a shower. It was around 9 AM when Kendall came back down the stairs. She looked so pretty in her running clothes and her hair up in a pony tail. She asked me if it was okay for her to go for a run and I agreed that would be fine. While she was gone I was cleaning the house, putting away files, tiding up bedrooms and cleaning the bathrooms.” So far my mother was telling the complete truth, maybe there was hope for her after all, “It wasn’t until around 1 PM when Kendall came running in through the front door. She was sweaty and she smelled. Yes, I realize that my daughter had gone on a four hour run but she loves to run. She’s been running every day since she was 10 years old. She used to run with her father but then she eventually was able to run by herself.”

My mother went silent for a while and a tear slide down her face as she continued, “I had asked her if she wanted to run to the grocery store with me and run some errands. Of course, she had told me she would pass this time because she had something’s that she wanted to get done. So I smiled and told her I’d see her in about three hours and I headed out the door.” My mother let out a breath that I don’t think anybody realized she was holding. “I got home around 4:30 to find that Kendall had a friend over. I wouldn’t have minded if she had asked me before her friend came over but she hadn’t. I mean I know her friend. It was Melissa out next door neighbor; she’s been Kendall’s best friend since they were in diapers.”

So far still the truth although I had asked if Melissa could come over but she never responded and I honestly didn’t think that she would care.

“Anyways, I called her down the stairs to help with groceries and that’s when she had appeared with Melissa. Of course it made me upset that she hadn’t asked before inviting her over. That’s when I lost it and started yelling at her. She yelled back and we just wouldn’t stop yelling at each other which made Melissa uncomfortable.” She took a breath and then said the biggest lie of her life, “After a few minutes, Kendall grabbed Melissa by the arm they ran off. I didn’t see Kendall until around 5:20, ten minutes before her father got home. She walked in the front door and was all beaten up. She looked awful, I almost cried at the sight of her.”

My mother wiped a tear away from her face before continuing, “I went to walk towards her but she just backed away from me as if she didn’t want me to touch her. I had no idea why or what had happened. I just wanted to hold my baby. When her father walked in the front door he looked furious, I tried to explain that it wasn’t my fault but he wouldn’t listen. He refused and called the cops before taking my baby away from me.”

“No further questions your honor.” My mother’s lawyer said taking my mother’s hand and escorting her back towards her original seat.

She was in tears and they wouldn’t stop falling but I knew it was an act. Angry flew up in my face and I couldn’t help what happened next.

I stood up, “that is complete bullshit and you know it! You were under oath and you lied!” I yelled and my father held me back and told me to sit down and relax.

The judge banged his mallet thingy, “Order! Order in the court! Ms. Montgomery please sit down, you will have your turn to explain your side. If I hear one more outburst from you we will adjourn the court and your mother will be set free.”

All I did was nod and sit back down as my fathers’ lawyer stood up, “Your honor if you may, I would like to call Kendall Montgomery up to the stand.”

The judge waved his hand and said, “Precede.”

I stood up and walked towards the stand. My mouth went dry as I reached the stand. This was it, my statement would put my mother away.

The officer raised the bible, “Please raise your right hand” and I did so, “Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you god?”

“I swear.” I said before taking a seat on the stand.

I gulped and fought back the tears. I would have to relieve that night right now, I will tell the truth that my mother had refused to tell. This was it.