Hallucinating

After trudging through the endless plains of powdery snow for what feels like two hours but is actually only twenty four minutes,Tucker was seriously struggling to keep his mouth shut. It was freezing and all he wanted to do was grumble and whine about how he couldn't feel his toes anymore, but he controlled himself.

     Danny hadn't said a word since they had begun their trek across the frozen island and it was obvious by the way he continued to pick up mounds of snow and press them into various parts of his head and neck that the cold wasn't affecting him. At all. Totally not fair.

     So Tucker kept his mouth shut, probably for longer than he ever had. Sam would have been proud if she had seen it. Then again, she might also be too distracted with interrogating Danny to really notice. That was the only reason Tucker fought so hard to keep his words down. Danny was already getting shit from his classmates parents, as well as Sam who was too worried for her own good. Danny didn't need anything else from his best friend.

     Despite not speaking for the entirety of the journey, the walk wasn't silent. Every so often there'd be the smallest of whimpers slipping past the halfa's lips; a pained sigh here, a huffed grunt there. There was no mistaking the teen for anything other than being in immense pain, but with every sound and wince, Tucker continued to stay silent. Silent that is, until the sounds turned into actions.

     At first, it was just heavy breathing, something Tucker matched with every excruciating step taken and found completely understandable. Any person in normal shape would be at least a little winded from walking for this long, but the thing was, Danny's not normal. Not in the slightest. 

      That's why Tucker drew the line when breathing turned into panting and the walking turned into a sort of staggering stumble.

     "Dude," He started, moving in front of his friend to stop his progression. "You're not looking too hot."

     Danny gave him a look, a mix of pain and exasperation. He scoffed a little, "Yeah Tucker, I'm not looking hot while I trudge through snow on this cold island that's covered in ice."

    It took him a second to understand what he was saying, but Tuck quickly caught on to the sarcasm. "That's not what I meant." He laughed a little when he said it, but otherwise didn't budge. "You should really transform or something. You said the poison moves slower when you're Phantom right?"

     Danny dropped his eyes with a sigh, "Yeah, it does. Hurts a hell of a lot less too." Tucker mouth fell open a little, his questioning gaze morphing into an incredulous one.

     "Then what are you waiting for?!" He threw his arms up for good measure, trying to figure out if his best friend was stupid or plain dumb.

      "I-" The world barely made it out of his mouth before Danny was clenching his jaw closed, closing his eyes before speaking around grit teeth. "I can't."

     "Why not?"

     Danny took a step forward, stopping when Tucker crossed his arms and attempting to move around him.

     "Nuh uh, " he stated firmly, "you're not taking another step until you tell me why."

     The other boy stayed hesitated for a moment before speaking. "I've been hearing a... a voice." He paused. "It tells me to do... things and tries to convince me that... certain things are true, " another pause. "It's just a whisper now, but in Phantom, it screams. It's so loud that I want to believe it, do the things it asks me. If I give in... I wouldn't be able to live with myself."