Chapter Fourteen ~ Bittersweet

"Thanks Josie for bringing the kids. My car broke down and Jonas is away for work till Friday." Ted says standing at the front door of his and his boyfriend Jonas' house.

"It's no problem, if you make sure I can get to my shop and back home you can always borrow my car. I don't really need it when the kids are with you." Josie says hugging her coat close to her body, feeling the cold of the evening crawling up to her body from her feet. Ted looks at his ex-wife and notices how bad she looks. Josie has never been skinny, she always had beautiful curves but now she has lost so much weight. Her pants are baggy, her cute little tummy that she got after her two pregnancies is gone, her breast are smaller but she also looks pale and tired.

"Thanks, I will call you if we need a ride. Josie, are you okay?" Ted and Josie have been separated for three years but he will always look out for her.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Just busy at the shop." Josie lies but Ted knows her well enough to see through it.

"I have to go now. Call me if you or the kids need anything." Josie kisses Ted's cheek. After the divorce there was a time when Josie was angry at Ted but once she processed everything, they all became good friends.

"Bye." Ted waves to Josie before he turns around, closes the glass door and goes to see what the kids are up to.

Ted keeps worrying about Josie, he's never seen her like this, not even when he told her he was in love with a man and wanted to live with him.

The kids are also acting differently towards each other, especially Alex towards Lou. At dinner, during a discussion about whether or not tell the teacher when a classmate is cheating, Lou said she would tell the teacher and Alex said she always is messing things up for other people. Lou is always more impulsive, like Ted himself but Alex is just his mother, very considerate and thoughtful. He would never say something like that to someone without a good reason, especially not to his sister.

Later that night when Ted and Alex are watching their favourite TV show on the living room couch, Ted suddenly pauses the show.

"Dad, why are you doing that?" Alex asks annoyed because the show is just getting very exciting.

"I need to talk to you Alex." the man says. Alex knows it's serious because his father has a big frown on his face and his lips are in a straight line.

"Is everything okay at your mums? Is your mum okay?" Alex sighs, not sure if he should open up about the situation to his dad. He doesn't want to make everything worse or get hismum or sister in trouble. Ted sees his doubt and puts his hand on his son's shoulder.

"I'm worried and I only want to help. Your mother doesn't look very well and you and your sister are acting weird too." Ted tries to convince Alex. The boy sighs and rubs his eyes.

"Mum is not good at all and it's all Lou's fault." he suddenly spits out. Ted is silent for a moment, he needs to let Alex words sink in. What has his sweet little Lou done to make Josie unhappy? He needs to know more.

"Can you please tell me everything that is going on?" Ted pleads. Alex starts to tell his father everything.

After thirty minutes Alex is done and the father is shocked by his son's story. He feels sorry for Josie, she doesn't deserve this and he doesn't understand Lou.

"Thank you for telling me Alex. Your mother is a fantastic woman, she deserves to meet a good man and have a relationship. Your sister's reaction is unacceptable and if you are okay with it I will talk to her tomorrow." Ted scratches his head frustrated while thinking about his daughters actions.

"She won't be happy I told you but I want mum to be happy again." Alex says.
"Thanks dad!" Alex whispers before he takes a drink from his coke and Ted puts the show back on but while the boy is completely engrossed in the latest episode of CSI, he doesn't pay attention any more. His thoughts are with his daughter and ex-wife.