><> Chapter Nineteen <><

I said goodbye to George and watched as he and the little rowing boat disappeared around the curve of rocks.

I looked up at my house. A light was on upstairs, it was probably Dad getting ready for bed. I thought about Mum and the boat, and despite everything, felt a little sorrow for her. She would be mortified right now.

A crescent moon now shone up above, and I heard the sound of water rippling in the illuminiated waters below.

Llyr rose up just in front of the jetty, and this time I didn't jump as much as before.

I sat down cross-legged at the end and he swam closer.

"You coming in this time?" he said.

Is he mad? It would be absolutely freezing.

"It's not so cold," he said.

"Okay, can you read my mind or something?" I demanded. This was happening way too often for my liking. "And anyway," I continued, "you're like, a fish so it's obviously not going to be 'too cold' for you."

Llyr laughed out loud. "A fish? Is that what you think I am?"

"Well, obviously you're a bit human too."

"So then, I know that you will not find it very cold. In fact, I think you will like it."

I reached down and put my hand in. He was semi-right, it wasn't... freezing.

I suddenly remembered something. "Did you steal that boat that you brought the other day?"

Llyr smiled amusedly. "Borrowed it, yes."

I looked at him inquisitively. "Why?"

"Because I wanted to see you. I couldn't expect you to swim all afternoon. I couldn't think of another way. I took it back, don't worry," he looked at my face, and could see that I was still not convinced. "You see, I have to stay by the water,  just like you need to be by the land."

"So, what happens if you stay out of the sea for too long?" I asked slowly.

"I don't know, I've not really had to be away from it for too long. But I've heard of mer getting swept inland by tidal waves, and not surviving a day without water. We can be strong on our legs but not for very long."

"Well, I'm not the greatest swimmer," I said, thinking about logistics. How on earth are we ever going to spend any time together?

"I loved swimming with you the other night," said Llyr.

I thought about the night of the party and my heart did a somersault. I guess if I really wanted to see him, I would have to meet him halfway.

I took off my cardigan, I had a black vest top on underneath. Next I took off my boots and socks, and then I stood up to take my jeans off.

"I hope my Dad doesn't see this," I said to Llyr as he waited below.

"It's probably a little dark from inside," said Llyr distractedly. I realized he was transfixed by me.

I sat on the jetty in nothing but my vest top and underwear, lowering my legs into the water. I put the palms of my hands on the wood behind me and prepared to drop.

I closed my eyes, I couldn't believe I was doing this. I wondered again if I had gone mad, and was simply hallucinating Llyr and this entire experience.

I lowered myself slowly into the sea, so as not to make a loud splash, and felt the chill of the water sting me from bottom to top as I descended.

When I was finally fully enveloped by the ocean, I felt my heart palpitate from the chill. I swam out a little bit to try to adapt to the cold, not wanting to make a fuss in front of him. I turned and saw he was behind me, and together we swam further away from the island.

I was not afraid this time of sharks or currents. Knowing I was with Llyr, and what he was, made me completely fearless of the water. After some time I too found, to my relief that I was feeling slightly more normal temperature-wise.

We must have swam for about five minutes when we stopped and I trod water for a bit. Just like last time, we were provided with some lighting from the moon, and I was able to make him out next to me.

"How do you know that I know what you are?" I said, suddenly curious.

"George said that you had come by the knowledge," he said calmly. "I was going to tell you though."

I nodded and looked out to sea. We were quiet for a while but there were other things on my mind.

"Why do you like me?" I asked, treading water. "Is it because of the information you can get from my Dad?"

Llyr looked shocked. "No!" he said. "I would never make use of you in such a knavish act."

I laughed. Sometimes he spoke in such an old fashioned tone.

He looked confused as to why I was laughing.

"Sorry," I said. "It's just the language you use, it reminds me of some of the manuscripts I read in my history class or something."

He smiled and reached out, drawing me closer to him, and I let myself be pulled into his arms. I rested my hands on his shoulders and looked into his eyes. Finally our mouths pressed together and I tasted the sea on his lips.

It was everything I thought it would be, slow and sensual at first and then it became deeper and more passionate. I wrapped my arms round his neck and his hands moved from my back to my hair and then they touched my face. I forgot who or where I was and everything else in my life during that kiss.

We slowed down eventually, but he did not want to stop for one second, and his mouth moved from my face and down to my neck as I paused to catch my breath. Then we kissed all over again.

"In answer to your question, I like you for many reasons Crystal," he said, when we finally withdrew from one another. "Your smile, your laugh the things you say. I'm attracted to your beauty, obviously, but also your spirit."

I looked down, embarrassed by his words. No one had ever said anything so romantic to me.

"That night at the party, something drew me to you in the dark, even before you were in trouble. It's like you sparkled or something," he continued.

"Is that why you said my name suits me?" I asked.

"One of the reasons," he said, retrieving my hand from the water and kissing it. He looked at me. "You really are getting cold now," he said.

I hadn't noticed in all the excitement but it dawned on me that he was right. I was shivering.

We reluctantly started swimming back to my house but as we approached the jetty, we heard the sound of an engine.

Suddenly the light of a boat came into view, and I realized it was a sea-taxi approaching. Llyr pulled me behind the jetty, as the boat purred along to the other side.

Suddenly I heard the tapping of heels on the wood above. It was Mum.

Crap, my clothes are still on the jetty!

It sounded as though the boat was departing, and Mum's voice gradually became more audible as the engine faded.

"I cannot begin to express how sorry I am, Mr Geake," said my mother. 

She was talking on her mobile.

"I shall be down at the port at the crack of dawn, and we shall get to the bottom of this mess with the boat."

Her voice was just above us. I prayed she did not peer over the other side.

"Yes, yes, of course. And please, let me assure you that this is in no way an indicator of my performance..."

My mothers voice, and high heels, appeared to travel away from us and down the jetty towards the ocean stairway. I breathed a sigh of relief. She had been to distracted grovelling to Mr Geake to notice me or my clothes.

As soon as she had gone, Llyr turned to me.

"Is your mother one of them?" he whispered. I knew he meant SKANX.

"She just got a job with them.  It's a total nightmare with Dad being the number one anti-SKANX activist."

"That must be hard," he said.

"It is," I replied.

"You know, we had to stop that boat," said Llyr. "Our people are getting ill from that poison they're bringing out there."

"Oh, I know!" I agreed. "I hate them too."

Llyr kissed me. "You'd better get in."

I was really terribly cold now. "Yeah," I agreed, trying not to shiver too much.

He helped me climb onto the top of the jetty and I wrapped my cardigan around me, thankful for the warmth it brought.

I looked down. "When will I see you again?"

"Sunset. Day after tomorrow?" he asked.

I nodded and gathered my clothes together. I was trembling.

I turned before pausing and turning back round again.

"Perhaps you'd better bring that boat along next time," I said.