Chapter 17 - Reality Check

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: The new installment of 'Slash's Revenge' is here and it's a bit of a roller coaster ride.

Before we delve into the chapter, I want to take a moment to thank everyone who nominated my stories for the 2018 TMNT Universal Reader's Choice Awards. OMGeeeeeee! I'm so very touched by the nominations I received. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to all my readers, followers, and friends. Thank you all so much. I also want to congratulate my fellow nominees. I'm incredibly blessed and honored to be amongst so many insanely talented writers. ❤ (◍••◍)

Okay, I'm getting all emotional here. We'd better move onto the chapter. I truly hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading! =)

CJ

--------------------------    

Chapter 17 – Reality Check

Leonardo had to wonder if he was the only one starting to think they were being led on a wild 'turtle' chase. They'd been trailing behind Slash at a relentless pace for a good twenty minutes now and it didn't appear as though he was going to let up anytime soon. 

The largest of the five mutants leaping from rooftop to rooftop had guided everyone to a part of New York City the ninja brothers weren't overly familiar with.

There's a good reason for that...

A shudder crept along the blue-masked turtle's spine as he glanced at the scores of rundown buildings they were darting past. Most of the structures in the vicinity appeared to be on their last leg; hardly stable enough to support the weight of a pigeon let alone four mutant turtles and a human-sized rat.

One thing was for sure, if Donnie was indeed being held captive in this section of the city, it would explain why his family hadn't located him yet. Even the Shredder's lowlife cronies knew better than to hang out in a place like this. Leonardo was willing to bet that that was exactly why Slash had chosen this particular neighborhood.

Less likelihood of being found...

Of course, Slash could have just as soon been leading them straight into a trap.

Shifting his steely, sapphire eyes forward, Leo fixed a glare on Slash, who continued to hurdle across buildings with practiced ease. The fact that Slash seemed to know the area like the back of his palm made the leader in blue furrow his forehead in deep thought. His brother's kidnapper had clearly been to this location on multiple occasions, but Leonardo wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing. If Donnie was being kept somewhere nearby, Slash had probably made this trip numerous times. But then again, the psychotic turtle might have purposely been leading them away from their missing brother, heading for a location he knew better than any of them on the off chance he might be able to give them the slip.

Master Splinter may have been duped into believing Slash was leading them to Donatello, but Leonardo didn't buy it. As far as the ninja in blue was concerned, trusting the monster who had terrorized and tortured his missing brother was suicide.

This was just plain crazy.

Leo wasn't about to let his family fall victim to the same fate as poor Donnie.

"EVERYONE! STOP!" Despite Leonardo's commanding tone, his family continued to sprint along the rooftops, afraid of losing Slash if they slowed down, even a little. The lighting in this part of the city was minimal at best, and with the rain coming down in sheets, it would've been all too easy for the largest mutant to disappear into the night.