Chapter 48 - A New Development

*Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles franchise.

*Author's Notes: I don't want to leave you all hanging any longer, so here's the next installment of 'Slash's Revenge.' Sorry for the rather lengthy wait. Real life has been pretty crazy. ;)

Alright, let's get on with the chapter, shall we?

CJ

-----------------------------

Chapter 48 – A New Development

Even though Raphael hadn't been to his 'secret' location in several months, he still knew the way like the back of his hand.

A quick left, then a hard right, then another right, then a left – deeper and deeper into the sewer system he went. The hotheaded ninja navigated the many tunnels and turns with practiced ease as he neared his destination. It was strange feeling such an overwhelming sense of dread when going to the very place that normally brought him solace. The closer he got, the narrower the corridors seemed to get, almost as though the walls were starting to close in on him. He was pretty sure this wasn't actually the case and he was just being paranoid. Regardless, he could feel his heartbeat grow more rampant by the minute. At this rate, he was going to have a freaking panic attack before he even got there. What good would that do anyone?

Sealing his eyes shut for a moment, Raph repeated his big brother's words inside his head, like a mantra.

"We're all counting on you, Raphael."

His family had put their trust in him.

He couldn't lose it now.

Keep it together, Raph.

They're all relying on you...

Prying his eyelids back open, the temperamental turtle pushed onward through the seemingly endless maze of underground tunnels. He noticed that the further south he went, the lower the water levels appeared to get, just as he remembered. He took another right and quickly recognized the way. He figured he was at least a couple miles away from the lair at this point. Not too much farther to go.

Then, as if on cue, he spotted the familiar stone aperture that led to the spacious opening he sought.

He had made it.

His stomach immediately started to twist into knots as he approached the huge archway, not sure what he would find once he stepped inside the cavern.

Visions of that monster standing there with his overgrown mitts around Donnie's throat had Raph seeing red and adrenaline quickly began to course through his veins. Without even realizing it, the hotheaded turtle unsheathed his trusty sais and had them at ready as he made his way through the entrance of the cavern.

What he saw next instantly made him freeze in his tracks for several agonizing seconds.

"Donnie?"

Raphael's genius brother was just lying face down on his side in the middle of the cavern floor, seemingly motionless.

The terrifying sight made Raphael's heart all but stop inside his chest. He remembered his nightmare from several evenings before...

"It's too late, Raph. I'm already gone."

Was he too late?

Was Donnie already gone?

No!