Back to Tennessee

Back to Tennessee

#1: “Well, well, well…”

#2: “That’s a deep well.”

Seriously, what do you think happened? Find out in GOODBYE AT MIDSEPTEMBER!

-___________________________________________________________________________-

City

I don’t understand this at all. Why did this happen? What did she do? Who did this to her? This is a really crappy world!

First my mom, now her…I mean, seriously, is it that angry at me?

I’m flying back to Tennessee. And I realized something:

Well, at least I get to see her again.

But I didn’t think it’ll happen this way. This is not how I pictured it! Damn it! Why did it have to be her, huh?

WHY

~

Jonathan drove me to their house, claiming he was picking up Anna and their daughter Jana. And he asked me to go inside.

I was desperate to hear him say it was a big joke or ‘surprise, she’s here’ or even ‘I was wrong. She’s not dead.’

But the more I waited, the more agonizing it was to stand and walk inside the house. Then a few seconds later, it happened.

SURPRISE!

They all yelled. Their friends from town and my old friends from my old work, some of my students, my girlfriend Claudia, my buddy Jack and our dog Simon came out from all directions and really, really surprised me.

But the big question is:

What is this all about? Why scare the hell out of me?

Claudia took a step out of the crowd and kissed me cheek with her arms around my neck. “Happy birthday, Bryan,” she whispered in my ear and we faced the crowd.

I was speechless, really.

“Is it my birthday?” I asked and they all laughed. When they realized I was serious, Johnny looked at me with dead eyes.

“You don’t remember?” He demanded and silence filled the air.

“Well this is touching.” Claudia says. “You were so busy thinking about our anniversary that you forgot about your birthday!” And they all picked up on it and laughed and drank beer and sang ‘happy birthday.’