[16]: Scabbed Wings

The jar of blood shattered against the floor. Marilyn's nose twitched in confusion, that scent seemed awfully familiar. His jaw locked and he wiped his mouth then he darted to the front door. Kyle skidded against the cold floor in fear as he scrambled to run away from the vampire.

He wasn't sure, but he couldn't ignore it. The perfect pitter-patter of a human heart as it was filled with anxiety. He had to be sure it was her. If it wasn't, he'd get a free meal. But he felt something in the pit of his stomach that he had never felt before. It was overwhelming, like a sense of joy. But no... It couldn't be. He hadn't felt joy since young Sabrina rested in his arms.

Marilyn ran, he ran like his life depended on it. He sprinted toward the heavenly smell of fresh blood, but mainly, he sprinted to her. He heard the pulse louder and quicker, he smelled the liquid more furiously. He knew now that it was her. She had come back. She had disobeyed him yet another time, but he didn't fucking care this time.

He saw a figure sprinting towards him. A beacon of red latex stumbling along the path. The head of unruly blonde hair confirmed everything for Marilyn as he stopped. So did she.

"Marilyn.." She panted, unsure if she was really seeing him this time. So she was alive, he thought. He took in her new appearance. She had reached a healthy weight and her hips, chest, legs, and face looked healthier and fuller. Her skin was less ghostly and pale also. She looked absolutely breathtaking to him.

"Come here," he breathed out, watching her face light up. She didn't feel scared when she stumbled over to him with a huge smile on her face. She practically fell into his arms. His arms. She was back in his arms.

She took a deep breath. Marilyn smelt like leather, honey and death. And surprisingly, it wasn't unpleasant to her. She heard him breathing heavily but against her ear, his heart did not beat once. She smiled again.

Marilyn didn't smile. He inhaled heavily through his nose, that same foreign feeling was brewing within his stomach. What was it? It made him feel weightless. The smell of Cassie's vanilla shampoo made his stomach flutter.

He looked down as she looked up. This time when their eyes locked, it wasn't in Cassie's head. He stared into her eyes. They were bright and they twinkled in the moonlight, unlike when they'd first met. Her eyes had been dull and lifeless, grey and sad.

She smiled up at him, he didn't smile back. Looking at her now, she looked like an angel, but her halo was crooked and her wings were littered with scabs. She still shined bright in the pale moonlight, Cassie was a symbol of innocence and purity. She had been dragged through the dirt, but she remained clean on the inside.

He was mesmerised. Never in his life had he felt so drawn to anyone, not even Sabrina. He inwardly chuckled. Out of any person, dead or alive, it had to be her. A weak, pathetic teenage girl. It was almost worth laughing at.

Marilyn realised something as he pulled her back into his chest. It wasn't Sabrina, it never had been. She had been a cameo role in his sick story, she'd twisted his heart with the games she played. But Cassie, she was the heroine here to save him from himself. A glowing ray of sunshine to penetrate his darkness.

He never thought He'd  forget Sabrina until He met Cassie. He hadn't really cared about her in the early days, but now that she rested in his arms, he knew Sabrina had never really been his and that he was just a pastime in her eventful  life. Cassidy Marie Evans was his Queen, his rose wedged in between many, many thorns.

And he had been so cruel to her, yet he still didn't feel an ounce of remorse. He never would. He truly believed all his actions were well deserved on the receiving end.

But that didn't matter, now he knew what he wanted. She knew it too. So, as his lip twitched upward for the first time in forever, he made his final decision.

"Let's go home."

And so they did.

...

[a/n: I don't believe this is the end, but I think it is for now. I still have ideas for where I want this to go. I think it has at least a few more chapters before the end. Please bear with me, I'll finish this if it's the last thing I do.

Also, I'm aware this is the shortest part I've written. It's more like a scene than a chapter, but I honestly don't think it could've flown into the next part so I left it as a stand alone piece.

Love you all.]