Chapter 8- Thorns and Roses

My body helplessly fell onto the ground, exhausted, my arms felt as if they were going to flop off, throbbing with pain. Damon's hand reached out towards me.

"We've got a long walk ahead of us," he stated a smirk creeping onto his face.

"What's so funny?" I muttered as he pulled me off of the ground.

"Well, who would ever think that Kayla Ford would be found running away with Damon Black, bit ironic isn't it 'cause usually you used to run away from me." He laughed.

"It's not funny," I bit back annoyed and trying to gain my balance.

I felt so dizzy, once we'd climbed off of the tracks using the rope my body had hit the ground in fatigue, it was like climbing the monkey bars but worse because if you let go you'd fall to your death. We'd landed in some forest area which looked like it was eternal.

"Give it up monkey face," Mia scolded Damon, pulling him away from me by his ear before standing by my side.

"Boys!" she exclaimed rolling her eyes.

"Just follow my lead," she stated pacing ahead of me, "I've parked my car just outside this woodland area but it's a good thirty to forty minute walk."

Trying not to get lost in the towering trees, or trip over any branches or stones I quickened my pace so I could keep hot on her heels, my bag toppling over my shoulders every now and then. Every time a bird tweeted or bee buzzed it made me jump, in such little time I'd become so immune to the outside world even the smell of nature felt absurd.

It felt as if every step we took we weren't getting anywhere, everything looked the same: the trees all had the same shade of dirty, brown bark and leeky green, crumpled leaves which would crunch beneath our feet every time we took a step forward.

After what felt like years of walking a stream of light seeped out from ahead.

"Made it!" Mia exclaimed raising her arms.

My heart leaped with relief, the trek was coming to an end. I followed the pairs lead out of the forest quickening up my pace, trying to get out of the forest. I'd always hated forests for some reason they just reminded me of all the horror movies I had to live through, I felt as if something would just pop out and eat us alive.

Mia took withdrew a set of keys from her pocket and unlocked her car which was parked evasively, its front buried into the forest. Almost tumbling over I dragged myself over to the rusty blue car, my body slammed against the back door of the car. Damon got into the front with Mia.

"Try to keep down, Kayla," Damon turned round to address me. "They've probably realised you're missing by now, don't wanna bump into one of their agents do we?"

"Don't call her Kayla, we need to find her another name," Mia suggested.

"I've already got given another name," I breathed, "It's Amnesia, Amnesia Fox."

Mia raised her eyebrow in confusion.

"They've given me ID too," I stated breaking the silence.

"Wow, well that's made it a little easier for us I guess," Mia sighed a sigh of relief.

"So, where were you head-" Damon started but Mia cut him off.

"We'll talk everything through once we get to the flat."

Mia parked outside a tall, glass building of flats. We got out of the car, my bag trailing behind me. Once we got inside Mia lead us to the elevators. The elevator was made of glass and hexagonal in shape, we got inside cramped with an old lady and her trolley. She was talking on the phone really loudly, her squeals piercing our ears.