13: Envy Green

Dark Mates

13: Envy Green

Rosea

“I’ve got a plan,” I said as Kaitlyn weakly traced her fingers across the old dusty book. Both of us were weary and tired and needed caffeine in our system. She looked up at me, her eyes as if already dead. I gulped and prepared for what was going to happen next.

“What is it?” She asked her voice hoarse. “I’ve… I’ve looked through this whole book. There isn’t a way to stop this from happening, assuming that Enoch will not change his plan and that he will not reject the bond between both of you.”

“I… I need your strength, Kaitlyn,” I said slowly. “To fight Enoch, my power alone is not enough. I need you.”

Kaitlyn cocked her eyebrow. “We aren’t going to have a battle plan? You’re just going to go up to him and declare a suicidal war?”

“No. I mean… I need your strength.”

“I know. You said it just now. I might not be a straight A student but I can comprehend you. Oh actually I can pretend to be you and you me so we can confuse him and all, plus we could—”

“I mean I need to kill you, Kaitlyn!” I finally dropped the bomb, cutting her midsentence. “I need to kill you, Kaitlyn,” I spoke slow and softly, so the impact of my decision wouldn’t be as harsh. “There isn’t another way. If we both show up to kill him at the same time, he will kill you, no doubt, and your power will go to me too. But if we pull the element of surprise by killing you first….”

“I can’t believe this is your stupid plan, Rose,” Kaitlyn shakily said as she pointed an accusing finger at me. She was trembling as she hesitantly took a step backwards, as if fearing me. I suppose it wasn’t her fault; I did tell her I wanted to kill her. “You’re a monster, that’s what you are!”

“Listen, listen, Kaitlyn, listen to me,” I said as I stood up from my seat. “This plan will save the vampires from Enoch; us from Enoch—”

“Us?” Kaitlyn let out a humourless chortle of laughter. “Since when did you make this thing plural? He’s already taken me away! You’re going to fucking kill me, Rose!”

“Stop being so selfish!” I snapped, getting angry. “This is for the good of the vampires. Don’t you see that I’m trying to help save us from Enoch? I need to save them—”

“And why can’t I save them?” she laughed. “You think you’re just so damn high and mighty, don’t you, Rose? I’m just some stupid clone of yours.”

“Look, I am better than you, you better get that in your pretty brain,” I hissed. “I need to save them. Get your head out of your arse; it isn’t a hat. And then why don’t you just stop being so ridiculously selfish, only caring about yourself, would you?”

“I’m not a selfless person, Rose. There’s hardly a person like that.” Kaitlyn said as she continued to glare at me fierily. “I’m a human being too. I have a life. You can’t just take it away like that. I don’t know what they turned you into when you chose to be a dark Xlinx, but I think you should be the one taking your head out of your freaking ass.”

“Excuse me? What they turned me into? Don’t you see I’m trying to save people? Oh, maybe you can’t see, because your head is too far up your ass!” My voice grew louder by each passing second.

“Save people, huh?” Kaitlyn said as she smirked at me. “Saving people, how heroic, Rose, you are. You came here to kill them! And now you’re like some God, trying to ‘sacrifice’ yourself for them. Newsflash: just because I’m a ‘clone’ of yours doesn’t mean I have to freaking do everything you tell me to, and I am sure as hell not going to kill myself, when I know there is another way.”