12: Omen of Death

Dark Mates

12: Omen of Death 

Rosea

I still felt the burning of the vampire’s energy coursing through me as I discarded his body into the lake. I washed my bloody hands clean from the river’s waters and watched it as the reddish water flowed away. I sat, as if lifelessly, on the soil ground and looked up into the sky.

Will this be my life? Killing vampires for a person that I’ve never even seen before? Killing them so he could rule?

I dragged my feet back to my room and didn’t even bother changing from my clothes. I slipped under the sheets. I felt exhausted and weak, but my eyes remained wide open.

Yes, I replied numbly to my own question as I looked down at the branding on my hand. Yes, that is my fate; even if I don’t want it to be that way.

I wasn’t living for myself anymore. I was living another person’s life. I’m living for another person.

But I don’t care, do I? Either way, I’m lifeless.

Either way, I’ll end up dead.

===

In my dream, a lone torch dimly illuminated the room.

The atmosphere was thin. I couldn’t make out much, but there was a mirror by the torch. It attracted me to it. I slowly walked to it. No harm, right? It’s just a dream.

In the mirror, I was a different girl. I had strawberry blond hair, a tight white shirt and ripped up jeans. I had a pair of boots on. My eyes were a dark shade of green. My hand had tattoos swirling up to the top in weird symbols.

I looked down at myself. I was still in my bloody outfit from before.

“This isn’t a mirror,” the girl from the other side said. I looked up, surprised. I immediately reached out for my dagger, only to realize it wasn’t there.

Just a dream, Rosea; it’s just a dream.

“Not a dream. But sort of,” she replied. “You might not remember me. But I’m Kaitlyn, the girl you met back before, back before your life was simple, Rosemarie.” (A/N: I edited it. Her name used to be Oxley, if you remember, but I changed it to Kaitlyn. Refer to chapter 12 of Vampire Mates if you need to)

“You’ve got the wrong girl. I’m Rosea,” I promptly looked away, clenching my jaw. I knew who she was. She was the hospitalized girl from when I was kidnapped.

“For God’s freaking sake, Rose!” she was getting annoyed. “Rosemarie or Rosea or Rosalyn, you still are the same person. You have the same fate. And as long as that,” she pointed at the rose branding on my wrist. “Stays, I have the same fate as you.”

“What do you mean? This isn’t related to you. This is done by—”

“Enoch, I know. I found out the hard way. The pain I went through the day after…” She whispered before she grabbed the torch. I looked at her with confusion. “Come with me.”

===

“Do remember Mari-Anne?” Kaitlyn asked as she placed the torch on a stand. (A/N: Refer to chapter 6 of Vampire Mates if needed)

“The woman from the bakery I was working at? Sure… the last time I saw her was…” I furrowed my eyebrows. I couldn’t remember. It was as if the memory was been clogged up in my brain.

“It was when she gave you the Meredith Seguridad,” Kaitlyn replied for me as she pulled out something and placed it on a stone table. It was covered with a cloth. “Do you believe in doppelgangers?”

I looked at her, “I suppose so. There’s nothing much that seems impossible now that I’ve met vampires and werewolves.”

“Well, you better believe so,” She said as she pulled off the cloth. I looked at the picture. It was a painting of two couples. They were exactly the same.

“Ever since I came across doppelgangers, I’ve been trying to do research between us. It’s really complex. The last doppelgangers both died terribly. One was chopped to pieces and the flesh was thrown into a rubbish dump and burned. The other was whipped and skinned alive.”

I shivered. I couldn’t help it.

“This is a painting by Dante Gabriel Rossetti. I stole it; took a lot of effort. Those,” She pointed at the couple o the left. “as you can see, are glowing. See how their chins are tilted up and their faces are calm? They are the clones of the couple on the right. So the ones on the right will die. Doppelgangers are an omen of death.”

My mind was spinning like crazy. “W-what?” My voice came out as a hoarse whisper.

“One of us is the doppelganger…” She looked up at me. “And seeing that if you die, I will die, because of our tie and if I die, nothing’ll happen to you… I’ll die either way. Unless we can stop it. But obviously someone wants me dead. Wait…” She looked deep in thought until she suddenly snapped her fingers, “Of course! Why didn’t I see this…?” She rushed to grab a dusty book from a shelf and blew away the layer of dust that had accumulated on it and flipped through the yellowed pages.

“But who would want you dead?” I questioned, still a bit shocked from all the new information.

“Why didn’t I see this sooner?” She only mumbled to herself. “Of course he would want me dead. You’re his queen. I’m just a pawn. When you laid your eyes on me, you were already as good as dead. The only way to have you alive is to kill me. And he linked us because when I die, my powers goes to you. And he’ll kill you… so he can get both our powers…” She fell limp on a chair.

“I don’t get it,” I said slowly and shakily and walked up to her. “Who is he?”

“Enoch,” She whispered, almost as if scared mentioning his name. “He’s off to kill us both. He only needs you to kill the royal family, and he’ll kill you… and, that’s it. He rules everything.”

My throat was dry. I couldn’t speak. Kaitlyn was staring into the darkness, almost as if already dead.

Well, she might as well be. In the end, we die anyway.

“Unless we can stop it,” she repeated.

====

So short but I hope I covered everything over the Doppelganger topic. The painting is to the side. If you want to learn more about it, go to http://dantisamor.wordpress.com/2014/01/14/how-they-met-themselves-pre-raphaelitism-and-the-double/ Yes, the painting is real

Sorry for the delayed update. I’ve been busy with things. Sorry :( I hope you guys still enjoyed that!