6. Are You Alone?

Dane's POV.

Today is the last day of the Lyca festival. It's a week-long festival that celebrates the Moon Goddess.

All over the world, werewolves pay respect to her in her shrines throughout this week.

Alphas and other important werewolves visit the shrine near midnight. Common wolves visit during the day.

By now, almost all the werewolves in the country must've visited a shrine. Heck, even Gabe and Clove (my Gamma) have already visited the one our pack members go to. I somehow couldn't find the time to do it till now. My dad would kill me if I didn't go tonight.

It's near midnight. I climb the stairs to the temple. There's no one but me on the stairs. Being the last day, the shrine will likely be empty, except for the priest.

Once I'm near the top, I smell incense and see lit candles at the praying area. Someone must be praying inside. 

I stop few steps short of the top and sit on one of the steps waiting for them to finish praying and leave.

After few minutes, I hear them coming. I get up, turn and start climbing the rest of the steps. When I'm almost at the top, I pause.

I see the person walking towards me. It's her.

What stopped me in my steps is how she looks.

She's wearing a long, silk, red dress. It slightly hugs her body. Her dress glistens in the surrounding temple light. Long diamond earrings dangle down her ears. Her red lips match the color of her dress.

Sarah looks breathtakingly beautiful.

Men and women, both dress formally when they visit a Moon Goddess shrine, out of respect. Women wear gowns and dresses, preferably in red or white, and Men, suits. I'm wearing a black suit and a white shirt.

I can't take my eyes off of her. 

She hasn't seen me yet. She's walking looking down at a small piece of paper held in her hand. When she's about few feet away from me, she finally looks up, and stops in surprise.

I don't make any movement and continue looking at her.

She uncomfortably shifts in her feet before looking down again and resuming her walk to the stairs. She walks to the side, to avoid me.

She reaches the top of the stairs and before she could climb down her first step, I go and stand before her, blocking her way.

Startled, she stops again.

I don't know why I did that, but I don't want her to leave yet.

From this close, I can see her green eyes clearly. The red dress brings out their color.

"What?" she asks in a velvety voice. It's the first time I'm hearing it. 

She sounds irritated but also nervous. She keeps her eyes looking down ahead and doesn't look at me.

"Are you alone?" I ask.

She looks at me. "Why are you asking?"

"It's not safe to be alone outside looking like that at this time," I tell her.

She smiles. My heart picks up its pace. "Really? And you're demonstrating that by blocking my way?"

I climb up my last step and she moves back. Even after taking a couple of steps backward, she couldn't put much distance between us.

"Come back to the shrine with me, then I'll walk you down," I tell her seriously.

She smiles wider and comes towards me, leaving barely any space between us. I suppress a growl.

My heart is beating at a crazy speed now. She says in a low voice, "I heard that Blue Streak's Alpha is not interested in girls, but who knew he would flirt so brazenly with another pack's female. That too with the sister of their Alpha and Beta."

I wrap my right arm around her waist and pull her close, surprising her. "I'm not flirting. I'm only concerned."

She smiles again and slowly slides up her left hand over my biceps, and gently places her right hand on my chest.

I'm burning. I feel my wolf stirring.

She brings her face dangerously close to mine and whispers, "I'm not the one you should be concerned about."

Suddenly, a sharp pain hits my chest. I feel like my heart is being crushed. My hand over her waist moves away from her by itself.

I look at her eyes and her pupils are red. She's using her powers.

The pain increases as she slides her right hand to my face and runs a finger across its side. Even in that pain, I couldn't help but gravitate towards her touch.

Her face moves to my other side and her lips are close to my ear, almost touching it. 

Her hand leaves my face and holds and runs down on my suit jacket as she seductively says, "be more careful, Alpha. It's not safe to be alone outside looking like that at this time."

Then she pulls away from me and climbs down the stairs. I still can't move my body and my chest pain remains.

Then it all goes away in an instant.  I breathe for air and turn around. She's gone.